Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com> on 2015/05/22 17:09:34 UTC

[Studio] Error reporting ?

Hi Stefan,

what's the best strategy for error reporting ? More specifically, whn
you expose a dialog box to get some user's input, we do check some of
the values. If one of them is invalid, we currently change the font to
red, but there is no place we say what's wrong, and that would be
convenient.

What do you think would be the best approach ?
- logging ? (that would be a bit useless, IMO, except for tracing the
inputs)
- status line ? (do we have one ?)
- a special zone in each dialog/windo ?
- a bullet associated to teh input box ?

Thanks !

Re: [Studio] Error reporting ?

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de>.
On 05/22/2015 05:09 PM, Emmanuel Lécharny wrote:
> Hi Stefan,
>
> what's the best strategy for error reporting ? More specifically, whn
> you expose a dialog box to get some user's input, we do check some of
> the values. If one of them is invalid, we currently change the font to
> red, but there is no place we say what's wrong, and that would be
> convenient.
>
> What do you think would be the best approach ?
> - logging ? (that would be a bit useless, IMO, except for tracing the
> inputs)
> - status line ? (do we have one ?)
> - a special zone in each dialog/windo ?
> - a bullet associated to teh input box ?

My favorite is the third option (a special zone in each dialog/window).

You can implement that yourself, we have something similar e.g. in
EditObjectClassAliasesDialog.

Eclipse also has some classes that can be reused:
* org.eclipse.jface.dialogs.InputDialog for simple inputs
* org.eclipse.jface.dialogs.TitleAreaDialog which has a title area where
the error message is displayed

Kind Regards,
Stefan

Re: [Studio] Error reporting ?

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org>.
On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 11:09 PM, Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Stefan,
>
> what's the best strategy for error reporting ? More specifically, whn
> you expose a dialog box to get some user's input, we do check some of
> the values. If one of them is invalid, we currently change the font to
> red, but there is no place we say what's wrong, and that would be
> convenient.
>
> What do you think would be the best approach ?

not much expertise in User eXperience design, but here I mention my opinion
as a user

> - logging ? (that would be a bit useless, IMO, except for tracing the
> inputs)
> - status line ? (do we have one ?)

nope, status line is not an ideal place for displaying errors, it is at the
bottom and generally
less concentrated are in UI (unless you are a IDE user ;)

> - a special zone in each dialog/windo ?

nope

> - a bullet associated to teh input box ?
>
> +1, an asterisk or a question mark with a label displaying error message or
      displaying the error in a tooltip is fine, especially if message is
too big.

Thanks !

--
Kiran Ayyagari