Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com> on 2011/12/08 11:45:22 UTC

Different namespaces for CXF Blueprint and Spring schemas

Hi

At the moment we have different namespaces for Blueprint and Spring
schemas, example:

"http://cxf.apache.org/blueprint/core"
"http://cxf.apache.org/core"

and so on for all other namespaces.

I'd like to propose to keep a single namespace, example,
"http://cxf.apache.org/core", etc.

Spring schemas are located in /schemas resource folders,
and blueprint ones in /schemas-blueprint, so I guess Blueprint and
Spring will know where to look for their schemas.

IMHO we should do before it is too late, it may be problematic now, but
may be that is what we should do for 2.6 and document it in the
Migration guide.

Or is the idea that in Blueprint CXF might offer some features that
won't be possible in Spring ? That may be of interest but I guess in
that case we can have two namespaces for using in Blueprint:
"http://cxf.apache.org/blueprint/core"
"http://cxf.apache.org/core"

with the former one identifying the schema which say imports the schema
identified by the latter ns and adds some Blueprint centric extensions

Thanks, Sergey

--
Sergey Beryozkin

Talend Community Coders
http://coders.talend.com/

Blog: http://sberyozkin.blogspot.com

Re: Different namespaces for CXF Blueprint and Spring schemas

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.
On 08/12/11 18:26, Daniel Kulp wrote:
> On Thursday, December 08, 2011 6:15:27 PM Sergey Beryozkin wrote:
>> Hi Dan
>>
>> What about having a single target  namespace even with one schema used
>> by Spring&  2nd - by Blueprint, example:
>>
>> <!-- Spring -->
>> <xs:xmlns targetNamespace="http://cxf.apache.org/core"
>> xmlns:tns="http://cxf.apache.org/core">
>> <!-- Spring-aware schema -->
>> </xs:xmlns>
>>
>> <!-- Blueprint -->
>> <xs:xmlns targetNamespace="http://cxf.apache.org/core"
>> xmlns:tns="http://cxf.apache.org/core">
>> <!-- Blueprint-aware schema -->
>> </xs:xmlns>
>
> This is basically what Aki was trying to do with RM and I kind of objected to
> which started the whole discussion.   It more or less goes against the whole
> idea of 1:1 relationship between schema and namespace and does cause various
> other issues.
>
> For example, we now have a nice .htaccess file in place that redirects the
> namespace URL's to the appropriate schema so things like XML editors can
> easily pick them up and provide nice contextual information while editing the
> XML.    If you have the same namespace mapped to two separate schemas, that no
> longer would work and we're right back to where we started with that.

I do agree. Actually, after signing off yesterday I recalled you
mentioning an .htaccess file but then figured we may get it redirecting
to intermediate pages, such as the one linked to below:
http://www.w3.org/2005/08/addressing/

and in principle we'd have a Blueprint and Spring links there pointing
to the actual schemas.
But then I thought it was kind of a 'warning' sign, we may be able to
bypass this issue with linking to the actual schema representation, but
it will just back-fire at some later stage; it does need to be a 1 to 1
relationship indeed as you indicated, better not break that...

> If we change the areas of core from the Spring specific types to xsd:anyType,
> we likely could do it.   That's acutally how the ie nterceptor lists work
> already.  I'm honestly not sure why the properties don't already do it that
> way.
>
> A good start might just be to identify the areas that are different between
> the schemas and just list them out.    If flipping from mapType ->  xsd:anyType
> would fix it in all the cases, it might just be worth doing.

Cheers, Sergey

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Thursday, December 08, 2011 6:15:27 PM Sergey Beryozkin wrote:
> Hi Dan
>
> What about having a single target  namespace even with one schema used
> by Spring & 2nd - by Blueprint, example:
>
> <!-- Spring -->
> <xs:xmlns targetNamespace="http://cxf.apache.org/core"
> xmlns:tns="http://cxf.apache.org/core">
> <!-- Spring-aware schema -->
> </xs:xmlns>
>
> <!-- Blueprint -->
> <xs:xmlns targetNamespace="http://cxf.apache.org/core"
> xmlns:tns="http://cxf.apache.org/core">
> <!-- Blueprint-aware schema -->
> </xs:xmlns>

This is basically what Aki was trying to do with RM and I kind of objected to
which started the whole discussion.   It more or less goes against the whole
idea of 1:1 relationship between schema and namespace and does cause various
other issues.

For example, we now have a nice .htaccess file in place that redirects the
namespace URL's to the appropriate schema so things like XML editors can
easily pick them up and provide nice contextual information while editing the
XML.    If you have the same namespace mapped to two separate schemas, that no
longer would work and we're right back to where we started with that.

If we change the areas of core from the Spring specific types to xsd:anyType,
we likely could do it.   That's acutally how the interceptor lists work

--
Daniel Kulp

Re: Different namespaces for CXF Blueprint and Spring schemas

Posted by Aki Yoshida <el...@googlemail.com>.
2011/12/8 Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>:

> Sergey,
>
>> Personally I'd be happy at this stage if we could agree that CXF schemas
>> will have, when possible a common namespace to be shared between Spring
>> & Blueprint
>
> For the most part, that's exactly what Johan and I have been doing whenever
> possible.   There are a couple like Coloc (coloc-feature.xsd) that we've been
> able to do that.
>
> The issue is that a bunch of the schemas import the spring schema  (like in
> core.xsd):
>
> <xsd:import namespace="http://www.springframework.org/schema/beans"
> schemaLocation="http://www.springframework.org/schema/beans/spring-
> beans.xsd"/>
>
> and as soon as you do that, you have some level of dependency on spring which
> we are trying to NOT have with blueprint.      For example, in core.xsd, the
> "properties" for the cxf:bus are of type:
>
> <xsd:element name="properties" type="beans:mapType" minOccurs="0">
>
> which is a spring defined schema type.   In blueprint, it is:
>
> <xsd:element name="properties" type="beans:Tmap" minOccurs="0">
>
> which would be the blueprint equivalent.  Obviously we could just define them
> as xsd:anyType or something like we do for the interceptorLists.   That
> definitely could be considered an option, but that also ruins some of the nice
> validation that could occur.
>
> It may also be possible to add some extra types in cxf-beans or something that
> will mimic both the blueprint and spring versions of those types, but I'm not
> really sure.

This is the line that I was thinking about, namely to define the
merged base types in one of our core schema with the documentation
describing the semantics of the attributes depending on the container
environment. We can use these types as the replacement for the BP or
spring version of those specific base types. We lose the strictness in
xml validation. But there is typically always a room between what
syntactically valid and what semantically valid. So, I think it is an
option to loosen the syntactic validation to gain some other benefits.

I will start trying out this approach for ws-rm.

regards, aki

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dan
On 08/12/11 15:46, Daniel Kulp wrote:

> Sergey,
>
>> Personally I'd be happy at this stage if we could agree that CXF schemas
>> will have, when possible a common namespace to be shared between Spring
>> &  Blueprint
>
> For the most part, that's exactly what Johan and I have been doing whenever
> possible.   There are a couple like Coloc (coloc-feature.xsd) that we've been
> able to do that.
>
> The issue is that a bunch of the schemas import the spring schema  (like in
> core.xsd):
>
> <xsd:import namespace="http://www.springframework.org/schema/beans"
> schemaLocation="http://www.springframework.org/schema/beans/spring-
> beans.xsd"/>
>
> and as soon as you do that, you have some level of dependency on spring which
> we are trying to NOT have with blueprint.      For example, in core.xsd, the
> "properties" for the cxf:bus are of type:
>
> <xsd:element name="properties" type="beans:mapType" minOccurs="0">
>
> which is a spring defined schema type.   In blueprint, it is:
>
> <xsd:element name="properties" type="beans:Tmap" minOccurs="0">
>
> which would be the blueprint equivalent.  Obviously we could just define them
> as xsd:anyType or something like we do for the interceptorLists.   That
> definitely could be considered an option, but that also ruins some of the nice
> validation that could occur.
>
> It may also be possible to add some extra types in cxf-beans or something that
> will mimic both the blueprint and spring versions of those types, but I'm not
> really sure.

Thanks for the above info - I see it can be tricky to get a single
physical schema document for both Blueprint and Spring;

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
Sergey,

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Aki