Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM> on 2007/10/17 19:47:06 UTC

Making Derby a top level Apache project

Recently, the DB PMC discussed whether we should make Derby a top level
Apache project. The consensus seemed to be that a) Derby is mature
enough to be a top level project, b) no-one felt passionately one way or
another, c) therefore this decision should be left to the Derby
community. It seemed to me that the major argument for promoting Derby
to be a top level project was

+ This would increase Derby's visibility.

The major argument against promoting Derby to the top level was

- This would force us to rototill our website.

What do you think? Should we move Derby to the top level?

Thanks,
-Rick

Re: Making Derby a top level Apache project

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
> Rick Hillegas wrote:
>> Recently, the DB PMC discussed whether we should make Derby a top
>> level Apache project. The consensus seemed to be that a) Derby is
>> mature enough to be a top level project, b) no-one felt passionately
>> one way or another, c) therefore this decision should be left to the
>> Derby community. It seemed to me that the major argument for
>> promoting Derby to be a top level project was
>>
>> + This would increase Derby's visibility.
>>
>> The major argument against promoting Derby to the top level was
>>
>> - This would force us to rototill our website.
>
> Just to note that all of the above is Rick's opinion and not any
> official position of the DB-PMC.
>
> I personally think there was at least one reason given that was more
> significant that updating the web-site. Since the discussions on
> DB-PMC are private I'll leave it to the individual who raised it there
> to raise it here if they so desire.

This was my comment to the DB-PMC, in case that was the comment Dan was
referring to.

"I would just like to say that I kind of like being part of the DB
project.  While we do have quite a few active committers and PMC
members, we do not have a particularly diverse group in terms of company
affiliation. Being part of DB helps mitigate that."

Kathey

Re: Making Derby a top level Apache project

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@apache.org>.
Rick Hillegas wrote:
> Recently, the DB PMC discussed whether we should make Derby a top level
> Apache project. The consensus seemed to be that a) Derby is mature
> enough to be a top level project, b) no-one felt passionately one way or
> another, c) therefore this decision should be left to the Derby
> community. It seemed to me that the major argument for promoting Derby
> to be a top level project was
>
> + This would increase Derby's visibility.
>
> The major argument against promoting Derby to the top level was
>
> - This would force us to rototill our website.

Just to note that all of the above is Rick's opinion and not any
official position of the DB-PMC.

I personally think there was at least one reason given that was more
significant that updating the web-site. Since the discussions on DB-PMC
are private I'll leave it to the individual who raised it there to raise
it here if they so desire.

Dan.

Re: Making Derby a top level Apache project

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Laura Stewart wrote:
> On 10/17/07, Rick Hillegas <Ri...@sun.com> wrote:
>
>> Recently, the DB PMC discussed whether we should make Derby a top level
>> Apache project. The consensus seemed to be that a) Derby is mature
>> enough to be a top level project, b) no-one felt passionately one way or
>> another, c) therefore this decision should be left to the Derby
>> community. It seemed to me that the major argument for promoting Derby
>> to be a top level project was
>>
>> + This would increase Derby's visibility.
>>
>> The major argument against promoting Derby to the top level was
>>
>> - This would force us to rototill our website.
>>
>> What do you think? Should we move Derby to the top level?
>>

> What sort of "rototilling" are we talking about for the Web site Rick?
> Are there guidelines that will help us comply with the changes that
> are necessary?

Hi Laura,

I haven't wrapped my head around this myself, yet. At a minimum I would
expect some urls to change since we would be going from a
db.apache.org/derby namespace to a derby.apache.org namespace. For the
sake of external links back to Derby I would hope that the Apache site
would be able to redirect the old urls--but I don't know that. I think
that a detailed understanding of this could be provided by the folks who
managed our graduation from the incubator namespace into the db namespace.

Regards,

Posted by Laura Stewart <sc...@gmail.com>.

--
Laura Stewart