Posted to user@hive.apache.org by pandees waran <pa...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/23 07:28:23 UTC

Interpreting explain plan in hive

Hi,

What are the key areas we need to check in the explain plan generated in Hive?
I have checked the documentation, it's not detailed about the above question.
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/LanguageManual+Explain
I have similar kind of question asked in our forum, which is unanswered.
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hive-user/201107.mbox/%3CCAAG3+BGHadR65FnR5udmGP9=QcriHuubnR8WR-VbxczdOhA=EQ@mail.gmail.com%3E

In summary, how we can distinguish a good/bad plan ?

Thanks for your help.
Pandeeswaran

Re: Interpreting explain plan in hive

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.
The only bad plan would be a plan that ends up producing the wrong result,
or throwing an exception. generally I look to see if there is a way to have
less map/reduce stages, the best plan is usually the one that does the job
in a single map reduce, or even better a single map only job.