Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Belgarius <we...@dfxwebs.com> on 2002/02/24 05:22:54 UTC

Newbie w/SSI problems

Greetings...

   I recently installed 1.3.23 here, under a Win98SE OS, which I understand
is less than desirable, and have encountered problems getting SSI's to work
with user's pages.  I've tried every possible combination of things in the
httpd.conf file, except the one that works, obviously.
   Here's the problem, with a bit of history.  I added Includes to the
Options, and uncommented the AddType text/html .shtml, along with the
AddHandler server-parsed .shtml in the main section, and set the server
running on port 8080 to test things.  All appeared normal on my pages,
including the one lonely SSI I use to include a news text.  I also have some
20 odd users that I host, each with a personal cgi folder, and subdomain
name, so I opted for using the VirtualHost containers to inform the server
where their particular items are kept.  The first tests with these pages
worked great, except for those with SSI as a part of them.  These returned
text errors, or in the case of one calling a text file from the user's cgi,
resulted in a blank "loading page" output that failed to time out, and,
along with this, presented me with an instance of Notepad opening up in the
task manager.  Since this is a rather busy site, and I was ill advised
enough to put Apache online after my initial tests, instead of insuring it
actually worked, I found multiple instances of Notepad open on more than one
occasion.  I've since removed the Includes from the Options, and
re-commented the AddType and AddHandler statements, and added these to the
VirtualHost container.  It no longer opens Notepad, however, the SSI
contents are not being added to the output sent to the browser.  Can someone
point me in a direction that might solve this problem?  I am certain that it
is something wrong in my httpd.conf file, but have been unable to resolve it
to date.  Here's an example of what I am using in the VirtualHost
containers:

<VirtualHost *>
    ServerAdmin member@mailserver.com
    DocumentRoot E:/users/memberfolder/htdocs
    ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "E:/users/memberfolder/cgi-bin/"
    ServerName sitename.server.com
    ErrorLog E:/users/memberfolder/error.log
    CustomLog E:/users/memberfolder/access.log combined
    Options +IncludesNOEXEC
    AddType text/html .shtml
    AddHandler server-parsed .shtml
</VirtualHost>

   Is there some other directive that I am missing, or some obvious mistake
made?  The only thing keeping me from using Apache is this SSI thing, other
than that, it seems to work perfectly, and eliminates a lot of problems that
I've experienced with those "nuke" CMS packages running under my present
server.

webmaster@dfxwebs.com
---