Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Lee Merrill <Le...@bustech.com> on 2004/09/03 20:14:19 UTC

Following externals in a browser

Hi again,

    It would be nice if the browser viewing a Subversion archive could
see any files linked in via an svn:externals property, and follow those
links, to view the files under those directories. Could this be a
feature-type of issue?

Lee

--
+=========================================================
+ Lee Merrill    lee@bustech.com    919-866-2008

Re: Following externals in a browser

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Fri, 2004-09-03 at 15:14, Lee Merrill wrote:
> Hi again,
>
>     It would be nice if the browser viewing a Subversion archive could
> see any files linked in via an svn:externals property, and follow those
> links, to view the files under those directories. Could this be a
> feature-type of issue?

It would be a fine feature for ViewCVS/SVN, WebSVN, or any other
dedicated repository browsing tool, but not for mod_dav_svn.

<party_line>
But we drew a line in the sand a long time ago:  mod_dav_svn is *not* a
repository browser.  It simply lists entries when you do an http GET on
a directory.  We did that because it was mildly convenient, not because
we had to.  (WebDAV/deltaV doesn't define any specific behavior for a
GET on a directory -- we could have just returned an error!)  We're not
going to teach mod_dav_svn to show modtimes, authors, properties, diffs,
externals, or any other fancy metadata.  That's exactly why dedicated
repository browsing tools exist, see the 'links' page.  We want to keep
mod_dav_svn simple and pure.
</party_line>