Posted to dev@tika.apache.org by Ray Gauss II <ra...@alfresco.com> on 2012/01/18 04:21:59 UTC

ExifTool Parser Conventions

The ExifTool parser found here ( https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TIKA-774 ) has been refactored a bit and pulled out into a separate project in light of the coming modularity changes.

Is there any convention to be followed yet in terms of naming of such a project or where it should live?

It's currently a maven build with a name of tika-exiftool.

Should I put it on something like GitHub and reference its location in the JIRA?

Will there be any less restricted directories on SVN for something like this in the future?

Re: ExifTool Parser Conventions

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@alfresco.com>.
On Tue, 17 Jan 2012, Ray Gauss II wrote:
> Is there any convention to be followed yet in terms of naming of such a
> project or where it should live?

I'm not sure we do, though I think Jukka in particular does have some
ideas on a longer term plan for that sort of thing

One thing that may affect the placement is that I don't think we can
distribute ExifTool itself because of the license. Luckily because we use
ExifTool as a command line program, rather than as a library, we're not as
affected. I think it may come under:
http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#optional

We're likely to have a similar thing with FFMpeg (which Albretch Mueller
is looking at), as that's either LGPL or GPL depending on your build
options.

What do people think about where to put Tika Parsers which are wrappers
around command line tools (where the parent project is unlikely to be
interested). The parsers subproject itself? Another subproject? Apache
Extras?

Nick