Posted to general@attic.apache.org by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org> on 2014/05/24 06:50:15 UTC

Dropping the HEADER change

Currently the Attic process suggests modifying the
dist.apache.orgHEADER.html for a project. Then later, the directory is
deleted.

I'd like to flatten that and go straight to deleting the directory. I don't
think there is any value in maintaining the directory for a period of time
and it simplifies the process for moving something into the Attic.

Any -1s?

Hen

Re: Dropping the HEADER change

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.
On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 11:25 PM, Henk P. Penning <pe...@uu.nl> wrote:

> On Sat, 24 May 2014, Henri Yandell wrote:
>
>  Date: Sat, 24 May 2014 06:50:15 +0200
>> From: Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>
>> To: general@attic.apache.org
>> Subject: Dropping the HEADER change
>> Sender: hyandell@gmail.com
>>

>> Currently the Attic process suggests modifying the
>> dist.apache.orgHEADER.html for a project. Then later, the directory is
>>
>> deleted.
>>
>> I'd like to flatten that and go straight to deleting the directory. I
>> don't
>> think there is any value in maintaining the directory for a period of time
>> and it simplifies the process for moving something into the Attic.
>>
>> Any -1s?
>>

> Hi Hen,
>
>   +1 ; but I hope you want to keep process[3].2 :
>
>     strip dist/project and add a .htaccess containing :
>     RedirectMatch permanent .* http://attic.apache.org/
> projects/${project}.html
>
>   that is, move process[3].2 to process[2].

Why not a redirect to the archive.apache.org url for the project?

>   I can take care of it ; are attic commit rights sufficient?

Joe said it would need svnadmin access currently. My aim is to avoid my
mistake of a few years back in which Attic JIRA issues required >
Attic+member karma. So I'm expecting to put it in the Infra ticket, but no
reason why you couldn't handle it there :)

>   Re: process[3].1 "delete the user list (unless still active)" ;
>   I wonder if that can also move to process[2].

Good idea. It's rare that we see active user mailing lists, if we have, so
I'm +1 to that being in the Infra-please-close ticket. We can apply a dose
of common sense if a list is still active.

Posted by "Henk P. Penning" <pe...@uu.nl>.
On Sat, 24 May 2014, Henri Yandell wrote:

> Date: Sat, 24 May 2014 06:50:15 +0200
> From: Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>
> To: general@attic.apache.org
> Subject: Dropping the HEADER change
> Sender: hyandell@gmail.com
>
> Currently the Attic process suggests modifying the
> dist.apache.orgHEADER.html for a project. Then later, the directory is
> deleted.
>
> I'd like to flatten that and go straight to deleting the directory. I don't
> think there is any value in maintaining the directory for a period of time
> and it simplifies the process for moving something into the Attic.
>
> Any -1s?

Hi Hen,

   +1 ; but I hope you want to keep process[3].2 :

     strip dist/project and add a .htaccess containing :
     RedirectMatch permanent .* http://attic.apache.org/projects/${project}.html

   that is, move process[3].2 to process[2].

   I can take care of it ; are attic commit rights sufficient?

   Re: process[3].1 "delete the user list (unless still active)" ;
   I wonder if that can also move to process[2].

> Hen

   Groeten,

   HPP

Henk P. Penning, ICT-beta                 R Uithof BBL-761   _/ \_
Princetonplein 5, 3584CC Utrecht, NL      F +31 30 253 4553 \_/ \_/
http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~penni101/ M penning@uu.nl     \_/