Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by chicagoclimber <ch...@gmail.com> on 2008/04/18 17:28:30 UTC

flow control and durable queues

Is it possible to use producer flow control with durable queues? Online
documentation seems to say that flow control only controls the size of the
in-memory queue.

What I am trying to achieve is some sort of queue multiplexing. I have a
bunch of input queues that are served by a farm of consumers. For multiple
reasons, I don't want each consumer to subscribe to each input queue.
Instead I want to have all consumers subscribe to the same output queue.
Messages from all input queues will be routed to this output queue. The
requirement I have is that if a message is put on an _empty_ input queue
then it should be processed without much delay. This means that I need to
have some flow control/throttling for propagation of messages from input
queues to the output queue to ensure that a burst of messages on one queue
does not block processing of other queues.

I don't want to use time-based throttling (e.g. restrict number of message
per second) as it is agnostic of the actual load on the farm of consumers.
What I would ideally want to do is to restrict the size of the output queue
by blocking producers using flow control mechanism.

It seems that I would be able to use flow control as I described above with
a non-durable output queue. Is it possible to do this with a durable queue?
If not, is there any other way to achieve controllable "queue multiplexing"
using ActiveMQ/Camel?

Thanks!
-sergey