Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org> on 2004/02/21 17:33:10 UTC

Re: ant instead of maven

J Aaron Farr wrote:

> True.  I've been using Maven since something like beta-7 I think.  Right
> now I still use beta-10 since I got inconsistent results with RC-1.
> Each time I upgraded to a new beta, it required reworking things.

Things changing with a new beta don't bother me. I can prepare myself
for that.  But what *really* bugs me is when things change because maven
it changing under your feet.

Some things I've been experiencing (which have nothing to do with jelly)
is maven downloading of *older* jar files over more recent build
versions.  This came up because of a build failure related to a class
not found error. The class in question has just been built and installed
into the repository by maven - then on the build of a subsequent project
maven downloaded an older version (as in days older).  Problem is that
the bug is non-repeatable (but I now know of at least three cases where
this was the identified cause of a build failure).  I have a hunch that
the issue is related to the difference in precision in date formats
returned from input streams where the resource is local or remote (http
resources return a different date precision to file resources) - but I
haven't gone digging.

Anyway - the problems have been sufficient to prompt me to thinking
about putting in place a component that runs a sequence of actionable
services - e.g. compile, test, jar, etc.  The key here is defining these
actions as services - not implementations.  This would enable a lot
cleaner build model because plugins would be basically full components.

But that idea hasn't gone beyond a few little test components (but its
still circulating in my head).

Stephen.