Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by ariel <ar...@mailvision.net> on 2004/06/06 15:29:46 UTC

Tomcat MaxThreads and sessions

Hi All,
I wonder if someone can help me:

I am using Apache 2.0.49 with AJP connector (mod_jk)  to Tomcat 5.0.19.
on a Red Hat Linux 8.0 3.2-7 Server.
This server serves ten thousands of users.
Lately (after upgrading to tomcat 5) I experience a strange problem: My
server stops to respond to requests for approx. 10 minutes and than
comes back to life.
I also got this message in the mod_jk log file: "[jk_ajp_common.c
(1303)]: ERROR: Client connection aborted or network problems"
and in the Apache error log I found out this message: "server reached
MaxClients setting, consider raising the MaxClients setting".

I increased the "MaxClients" amount in the Apache configuration file and
I wonder if I also need to increase the amount of threads handled by the
AJP connector as well (seems that the "MaxThreads" attribute is not
needed by the AJP connector )?

Is there a configuration of the amount of threads handled by the tomcat
server because it seems to me that the tomcat server stops responding
after reaching it max amount of threads and only after a timeout when
the threads are released it goes back to life.

Also another question is if there is a limitation to the amount of
sessions that the tomcat handles ?

Thanks in Advance,

Ariel Pessah
Project Manager