Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Dmitry Khrustalev <di...@bog.msu.su> on 1999/02/09 18:22:38 UTC

poll in apache-apr

It seems apache-apr code uses both select and poll.

Why?

	-Dima

Re: poll in apache-apr

Posted by Ryan Bloom <rb...@raleigh.ibm.com>.
apache-apr is using both right now, because it is still in development.
We are working our way through the code to remove poll and select calls
when possible, and use whichever call makes more sense when not possible.

For the most part, the select calls are left in buff.c, and are used to do
writes or reads with timeouts.  There are ways around this, but nobody has
had time to code them.

The only poll call is in lingering close, which nobody has looked at yet,
because we have been busy making this a hybrid server.

I have purposefully ignored the modules, because for the most part, nobody
has really looked at them for performance or thread enhancements.  The
modules are last on our list, because we want to get the server itself up
and stable first.

I will also agree that there are probably select and poll calls I didn't
see, but I only did a real quick check for the calls, because I am busy
doing the scoreboard code to fork processes correctly in the hybrid model,
and it is consuming my time right now.

Also, there is still code in the server that sets things up for poll calls
that used to be there, but have since been removed.  These will be removed
when one of us gets more time to go through and do some basic cleanup.

Ryan

On Tue, 9 Feb 1999, Dmitry Khrustalev wrote:

> It seems apache-apr code uses both select and poll.
>
> Why?
>
> 	-Dima

Ryan Bloom		rbb@raleigh.ibm.com
4205 S Miami Blvd