Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Mike <Mi...@westnet.com.au> on 2015/10/27 02:04:28 UTC

Bright ideas/help re images in Calc

Hello!

I want to make a list of maybe 400-600 items, each with a thumbsize
image.  Other data includes a major and minor category name, and
descriptive text.  I want to be able to sort the list on the category
names, at least.

I have been experimenting with Calc and have of course come up against
the problem of images not sorting as part of rows.  I much prefer the
simplicity of Calc to using Base (which I've never managed to master).

One solution I've thought of but not worked thru is to hold the images
in a separate Calc sheet and then in the main sheet refer to the image
cell address.  Is there a clever way of then merging the sorted main
sheet and the images sheet so that the images are properly associated
with the descriptions - either for display only, but preferably for
print.  Or some other way of achieving the same result?

A fall back solution is to create the main sheet, sort it, add the
images, then make changes only by deleting or adding rows.  That'd be
acceptable, but limits new sorts that I don't anticipate now but may
find would be useful later on - such as sort by item $$ value.

I've looked on the 'net for catalogue systems for museums, art galleries
etc, and while they cover what I want they all have seemed to be over
complicated.

I'm running AOO 4.1.1 on a MacBook Pro running OS X 10.9.5

thanks,

Mike Shearer

Re: Bright ideas/help re images in Calc

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.
Hi Mike,

Mike schrieb:
> Hello!
>
> I want to make a list of maybe 400-600 items, each with a thumbsize
> image.  Other data includes a major and minor category name, and
> descriptive text.  I want to be able to sort the list on the category
> names, at least.
>
> I have been experimenting with Calc and have of course come up against
> the problem of images not sorting as part of rows.  I much prefer the
> simplicity of Calc to using Base (which I've never managed to master).

Have you tried the task in Writer? Writer-tables have only small tools
for calculating and no named data ranges, no pivot-table or so. But a
simple three-layer sorting is possible. I have tested it for small
tables and that works without problems. You mark the rows which you want
to sort and use Tools > Sort... Only the large number of items might be
a problem.

Writer-tables have the very nice property, that the image is
automatically downscales to the column-width on inserting. Additional
advantage is, that you have the full styling and editing features of Writer.

Kind regards
Regina