Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Frédéric Houbie - ABSIS-GROUP <jd...@absis-group.be> on 2001/09/24 16:08:08 UTC

Struts - XML - XSL

Hi,

I'm involved in a project that use struts. I have a question to get some
advice from you. The application want to separate clearly layout from the
logic. The team manager want us to use XML, XSL to build html pages. But I
don't see clearly how to mix all that. I have beans that do SQL query and
return an iterator with the data, I suppose my controller servlet must call
the beans and give the jsp access to this iterator. My JSP page will
dynamically build XML file, but i don't know how to call the transformation
of the XML data with a XSL file to build my final html layout.

Can you help me ?

Frédéric Houbie
Internet Project Manager

ABSIS-GROUP SA
Centre Socran
Av Pré Aily, 8
B-4031 Angleur
Tel : +32 4 367 89 64
Fax : +32 4 367 89 63
**** DISCLAIMER ****

"This e-mail and any attachments thereto may contain information which is
confidential and/or protected by intellectual property rights and are
intended for the sole use of the recipient(s) named above. Any use of the
information contained herein (including, but not limited to, total or
partial reproduction, communication or distribution in any form) by persons
other than the designated recipient(s) is prohibited. If you have received
this e-mail in error, please notify the sender either by telephone or by
e-mail and delete the material from any computer.

Thank you for your cooperation."

Re: Struts - XML - XSL

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
At Jakarta, we use Ant to build our HTML pages from XML and XSL. See the
Struts source distribution for an example.

I haven't tried it, but I keep thinking it would be interesting to do
the same with JSPs.

This would gives you the flexibility of XML,XLS without changing how you
write your applications, or incurring the overhead of the runtime
transformations.

> Frédéric Houbie - ABSIS-GROUP wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm involved in a project that use struts. I have a question to get
> some advice from you. The application want to separate clearly layout
> from the logic. The team manager want us to use XML, XSL to build html
> pages. But I don't see clearly how to mix all that. I have beans that
> do SQL query and return an iterator with the data, I suppose my
> controller servlet must call the beans and give the jsp access to this
> iterator. My JSP page will dynamically build XML file, but i don't
> know how to call the transformation of the XML data with a XSL file to
> build my final html layout.
>
> Can you help me ?
>

> Frédéric Houbie
> Internet Project Manager
>
> ABSIS-GROUP SA
> Centre Socran
> Av Pré Aily, 8
> B-4031 Angleur
> Tel : +32 4 367 89 64
> Fax : +32 4 367 89 63
>
> **** DISCLAIMER ****
>
> "This e-mail and any attachments thereto may contain information which
> is confidential and/or protected by intellectual property rights and
> are intended for the sole use of the recipient(s) named above. Any use
> of the information contained herein (including, but not limited to,
> total or partial reproduction, communication or distribution in any
> form) by persons other than the designated recipient(s) is prohibited.
> If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender
> either by telephone or by e-mail and delete the material from any
> computer.
>
> Thank you for your cooperation."

-- Tel +1 716 737-3463
-- http://www.husted.com/about/struts/

RE: Struts - XML - XSL

Posted by mattes balser <ma...@h-e-s.de>.
Hello Frédéric,

> but i don't know how to call the transformation of the XML data with a XSL
file to build my final html layout.

one option is to use the xsl-taglib
(http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/doc/xsl-doc/intro.html).

I haven't seen any problems with struts.

ciao
mattes