Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Bryce Curtis <cu...@gmail.com> on 2012/02/01 22:54:19 UTC

Work items for v1.5.0 - Name change

Now that 1.4.1 is tagged (or almost) we need to discuss 1.5.0.  I would
suggest the first task is to do the name change to cause minimal impact and
give time to verify code & update docs.

The changes are in 3 areas:
1. Native code - com.phonegap packages change to org.apache.cordova,
directories
2. JS code - what does PhoneGap global change to? Cordova?
3. docs - do we refer to it as Apache Cordova everywhere or just the first
time and use Cordova after that?

Once we decide what words to use, Simon and Drew have volunteered to do
Android and Blackberry.

Re: Work items for v1.5.0 - Name change

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 10:54 PM, Bryce Curtis <cu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 3. docs - do we refer to it as Apache Cordova everywhere or just the first
> time and use Cordova after that?

Most Apache projects drop the "Apache" prefix of the name once the
context is clear, but that's just a common convention.

For more specific branding guidelines, see
http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs.html.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Work items for v1.5.0 - Name change

Posted by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com>.
+1 :)

Posted by Simon MacDonald <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com>.
Hey

Posted by Simon MacDonald <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Johnson <da...@gmail.com>.
Or we just remove all phonegap references and go to 2.0?

What if rights are granted to use phonegap in those class names for the
time being?

Posted by Simon MacDonald <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simon MacDonald <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Drew Walters <de...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simon MacDonald <si...@gmail.com>.
Commited:

Posted by Simon MacDonald <si...@gmail.com>.
I don't think we can do that as we'd still be using the PhoneGap TM.
Based on what I understand we have to completely remove references to
PhoneGap from the code in order to do an official Apache release. This
is something we should double check with our Apache mentors.

Also, based on my understanding of the way trademarks work in the USA
they need to be defended if it is determined that they are being
infringed. While from our developer point of view keeping classes in a
package of com.phonegap is not infringement it could be construed as
such by lawyers.

So while I'd love to keep the old classes around for ease of upgrade I
think we need to take them out. Who can we talk to in order to get a
definitive answer?

Simon Mac Donald
http://hi.im/simonmacdonald

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.

Posted by Dave Johnson <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simon MacDonald <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.

Posted by Simon MacDonald <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.
Bryce/Simon:

Posted by Simon MacDonald <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Drew Walters <de...@gmail.com>.
Also need new cordova images for splash screen.

Posted by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com>.