Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2004/03/05 00:08:16 UTC

RE: [configuration] Roadmap

> There has been some good ideas coming around [configuration] lately, I'd
> like to suggest a roadmap to sort what needs to be done before the 1.0
> release and what could be added later

I like your list.  My main point for writing this e-mail is to suggest
liasons with other projects.

The Directory project, home of JNDI/LDAP code, would be interested in this
area, as JNDI provides a nice technology for storing and managing
configuration information.

The Avalon project has its own configuration implementation(s), but I am
thinking that configuration in Avalon should be viewed as either
configuration of the Avalon container, or configuration of components by the
container.  In either case, I think that Avalon would benefit from working
with Jakarta Commons, and using adapters to bridge between Commons'
implementations of configuration, and Avalon's use of that information.
Likewise, HiveMind should be thinking about it, if he hasn't already.

Those sorts of synergies will make it easier for projects like James,
Geronimo, etc., to benefit from the work done on Commons Configuration.

I'm cc'ing the Avalon folks.  Enough folks from the Directory and James
projects subscribe here that I won't bother cc'ing them.

What say ye?

	--- Noel