Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Kazunari Hirano <kh...@gmail.com> on 2011/06/29 13:46:48 UTC

Build-Translate-Plan

Hi all,

As we see Plan Matrix,
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Project+Planning
Build-Translate-Plan will be one of our first jobs :)
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Build-Translate-Plan
Can you read my comments on the page above?

Can I delete the previous list and start the new list?

Thanks,
khirano

Re: Build-Translate-Plan

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 06/29/2011 04:21 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
> On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 10:12 AM, Greg Stein<gs...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 09:11, Marcus (OOo)<ma...@wtnet.de>  wrote:
>>> Right. Maybe we should split this into 2 parts:
>>>
>>> 1. The very first build(s) to handle fixes for build breaker:
>>> IMHO here it should be enough to have en-US only
>>
>> For better or worse, the ASF is US-centric, so this makes sense.
>>

> For a smoke test I'd still do at least one other language.  One
> possible error is that a programmer hard codes a UI string rather than
> using a resource file.  If we just test builds with the the English
> resources we would not catch this.

Sure, should be easy to build another package frequently. But how to
make sure that you hit the needed language? ;-)

We have done this, too, to see if the packaging besides en-US is OK in
general after the build was done. But not to test L10N.

> But since the translation files tend to lag the builds, I wonder if
> some form of "pseudo-translation" would work just as well?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudolocalization
>
> Is this something that OOo already does?

Ivo, do you know about these kind of testing? Is this done with the Key
ID builds or was this another purpose?

Marcus

Re: Build-Translate-Plan

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.

Re: Build-Translate-Plan

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 11:03, Marcus (OOo) <ma...@wtnet.de> wrote:
> Am 06/29/2011 04:12 PM, schrieb Greg Stein:
>> It would be great to place the above onto our wiki as "nice to have".
>> But I believe it will take us a while to reach it.
>
> Done

Perfect. Thanks!

Cheers,
-g

Re: Build-Translate-Plan

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 06/29/2011 04:12 PM, schrieb Greg Stein:
> On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 09:11, Marcus (OOo)<ma...@wtnet.de>  wrote:
>> Right. Maybe we should split this into 2 parts:
>>
>> 1. The very first build(s) to handle fixes for build breaker:
>> IMHO here it should be enough to have en-US only
>
> For better or worse, the ASF is US-centric, so this makes sense.

I thought about en-US as it's the master language in the source, but anyway.

>> 2. If this is done the next builds can be also used for looking into the
>> localizations.
>>
>> We had the following set of languages for our developer milestones (DEV300
>> and OOO340):
>> - English (US) as master language
>> - German due to historical reasons and we had the most testers here
>> - French for the same reason IMHO and long strings
>> - Japanese due the CJK characters and to test RTL writing
>> - Russian due to Cyrillic charachters
>> - Arabic due to the characters and to test bidi writing
>
> I doubt that we'll see the same number of people step up, that OOo saw
> (say) a year ago. With the stagnation during the Sun/Oracle
> acquisition, with the LibreOffice initiative, and with the recent move
> to the ASF, the entire ecosystem is kind of separated. I believe it
> will take some time for the system to settle down and for people to
> decide where they would like to contribute.

Sure, it was just an example and why these languages were choosen. Of
course we have to look at the new contributors and then decide which
languages to build frequently for testing.

Re: Build-Translate-Plan

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Re: Build-Translate-Plan

Posted by Jomar Silva <ho...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 11:07 PM, Alexandro Colorado <jz...@openoffice.org> wrote:

> Spanish would be good. I did submit a petition a few months back for this.
> Portuguese is a split language between portugal and brasil. Althought most
> of the romance language shared the same locales issues like long strings.

In the past we used in Brazil the Portuguese (from Portugal) version
of the translation, and it wasn't a 'happy experience' to our users,
because some key works (as File) are transtaled using different words
in Brazil (Arquivo) and Portugal (Ficheiro).

All Portuguese (also speaken on some African and Asian countries) are
now sharing the same orthography, but we still having different words
to express the same things.

I hope that in a few days I may present more about what we may do with
Brazilian Portuguese, but yes, we would like to have a pt-br version
too.

Sorry for asking this later, but we're on the first day of FISL
(www.fisl.org.br), a huge FLOSS event in Brazil. There will be a talk
about Apache OpenOffice here on Saturday.

Best,

Jomar

Re: Build-Translate-Plan

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@openoffice.org>.

--
*Alexandro Colorado*
*OpenOffice.org* EspaƱol

Re: Build-Translate-Plan

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Re: Build-Translate-Plan

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.

Re: Build-Translate-Plan

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Re: Build-Translate-Plan

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.
Yes, you can delete the items I had on the list.

-Rob