Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by "Vince (II): WA2RSX" <wa...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2015/03/02 16:29:45 UTC

My First ooBase Database

Using AOO 4.1.1 on Win8 machine.
Followed tutorial (http://sheepdogguides.com/fdb/fdb1tableone.htm), and wonder why a field for ZipCode is not included.  Now trying to revise/edit my NameAddrPhone table, which does have an ID (autofill) column, to include a ZipCode field.
I would also like to include several fields to accommodate phone numbers for: Home#, Cell#, Work#1, Work#2, Work#3, etc.  Or, is that something that would be placed within a second table?
What am I missing that would allow me to modify my existing table's design, which has only one record within it at this point?  Am I jumping the gun when trying to edit an existing table?
TIA.
Vince_B.

Re: My First ooBase Database

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 07:36 04/03/2015 -0500, Vince Bonly wrote:
>On Mar 3, 2015, at 16:40, Kay Schenk wrote:
>>  On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 7:29 AM, Vince Bonly wrote:
>>>... wonder why a field for ZipCode is not included. Now trying to
>>>revise/edit my NameAddrPhone table, which does have an ID
>>>(autofill) column, to include a ZipCode field.
>>
>>If I'm not mistaken, "zipcode" is something that is only used in the US.
>
>... my point of difficulty is that I have not been able to "edit" an
>existing Table that has been previously Saved?

You *can* do this.

>I believe Canada and UK also use zip code, or equivalent, and
>perhaps others do.

No: most countries have postal coding systems, of course, but only
the USA (oh, and the Philippines) calls them Zip codes.

Brian Barker

Re: My First ooBase Database

Posted by "Vince B." <wa...@verizon.net>.
Thanks for your reply Kay.

I do realize that the software must be " global", but my point of difficulty is that I have not been able to " edit" an existing Table that has been previously Saved?   I must redo my steps, carefully.
Since this is my first attempt with ooBase, perhaps I do not have proper pre-configuration, yet.

Hmm?

I believe Canada and UK also use zip code, or equivalent, and perhaps others do.

Regards,
Vince B.
Sent from my iPad

Re: My First ooBase Database

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Re: My First ooBase Database

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <Ma...@Groenescheij.COM>.

On 06-Mar-15 08:03, Vince (II): WA2RSX wrote:
> OKay!  Have learned that table editing must be initiated via a right-click drop-down menu on the highlighted name of table, rather than attempting to use the menu-bar's "Edit"  tab.   I knew it was a simple solution.
> Beginning to get a little feel for ooBase.  My next task is to be able to insert a row between two already existing rows; is this possible, rather than the added row being located at the bottom of the table, i,e., last  field?

A database is not the same as an spreadsheet.
You store data in a database and use SQL to retrieve and sort the data.

>   I have managed to add several new fields; however, it seems that these must always be appended following the presently last field within the table.  Hmm.

It's not that you can't insert a field anywhere in a row, it's only the
user interface that is not user friendly, but
you can achieve it with SQL

> Now, back to more tutorials.

I suggest you start learning about database basics here
<http://www.htmlgoodies.com/primers/database/article.php/3478051>

Re: My First ooBase Database

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 12:57 08/03/2015 -0400, Vince Bonly wrote:
>On Mar 6, 2015, at 03:19, Brian Barker wrote:
>>At 21:03 05/03/2015 +0000, Vince Bonly wrote:
>>>OKay! Have learned that table editing must be initiated via a
>>>right-click drop-down menu on the highlighted name of table,
>>>rather than attempting to use the menu-bar's "Edit" tab. I knew it
>>>was a simple solution.
>>
>>That's not true: you can always use the menus. There are two things
>>you might mean by "editing": modifying the table design (which is
>>what you originally asked about - adding another field to an
>>existing table) and editing the data the table contains.
>>
>>o To modify the table design, you can use Edit in the context
>>(right-click) menu, but you can indeed get to the same Table Design
>>view via Edit | Edit... .
>>
>>o To modify a table's data, you need Table Data View instead. You
>>can double-click the icon, use Open in the context menu, or go to
>>Edit | Open Database Object... .
>
>So, to edit data within a Table, use the Edit menu tab near top of
>screen; to edit the structure of Table, use the context- menu while
>Table name is highlighted.

No: try what I said instead! As for many things, you can reach either
function using either the main menus or the context menu. And you
need an item to be highlighted in order to use the main menus but not
to use the context menu: in that case it is highlighted automatically.

Brian Barker

Re: My First ooBase Database

Posted by Julian Thomas <jt...@jt-mj.net>.
> On Mar 8, 2015, at 12:57, Vince B. <wa...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
> Have not yet grasped the concept of  a "Relational Database Manager System".  For now, I am trying to learn the basics, and, ultimately, have a useful end- product whenever I feel successful!

This may help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relational_database

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relational_database_management_system

http://rdbms.ca/database/introduction.html

good luck!

 —
jt - jt@jt-mj.net

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain

Re: My First ooBase Database

Posted by "Vince B." <wa...@verizon.net>.
Brian, thank you:

You hit on very good points, and I do appreciate them.  So, to edit data within a Table, use the Edit menu tab near top of screen; to edit the structure of Table, use the context- menu while Table name is highlighted.

I am no expert at using spreadsheets either, but am finding my knowledge of spreadsheets, such as it may be, to be confusing my attempts to learn ooBase at this point!  As the saying goes: Difficult to change or break old habits. ...

Am presently working on learning the basic use of Forms.  Difficulty is in becoming aware of the required workflow steps for using Tables and Forms in a database manager system.  Challenge at this point is to get the Form to be synced with the Table, and vice versa.

Re: My First ooBase Database

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.

Re: My First ooBase Database

Posted by "Vince (II): WA2RSX" <wa...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
OKay!  Have learned that table editing must be initiated via a right-click drop-down menu on the highlighted name of table, rather than attempting to use the menu-bar's "Edit"  tab.   I knew it was a simple solution.
Beginning to get a little feel for ooBase.  My next task is to be able to insert a row between two already existing rows; is this possible, rather than the added row being located at the bottom of the table, i,e., last  field?   I have managed to add several new fields; however, it seems that these must always be appended following the presently last field within the table.  Hmm.
Now, back to more tutorials.

Re: My First ooBase Database

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.
Hi Vince,

Vince (II): WA2RSX schrieb:
> Using AOO 4.1.1 on Win8 machine.
> Followed tutorial (http://sheepdogguides.com/fdb/fdb1tableone.htm), and wonder why a field for ZipCode is not included.  Now trying to revise/edit my NameAddrPhone table, which does have an ID (autofill) column, to include a ZipCode field.
> I would also like to include several fields to accommodate phone numbers for: Home#, Cell#, Work#1, Work#2, Work#3, etc.  Or, is that something that would be placed within a second table?
> What am I missing that would allow me to modify my existing table's design, which has only one record within it at this point?  Am I jumping the gun when trying to edit an existing table?
> TIA.
> Vince_B.

You should have a look at "Base Handbook 4.0 (database)" from
https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/documentation/ or its original
version in German "Handbuch „Base“ (Datenbank)" and the example database
files from https://de.libreoffice.org/get-help/documentation/.

There are no essential differences between LibreOffice and Apache
OpenOffice in using Base.

Kind regards
Regina