Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by DJ...@princeton.com on 2011/07/13 18:53:20 UTC

queue routes and message looping

I'm trying to use queue routes to federate messages between two brokers.
Depending on the scenario, I sometimes end up with an infinite message
loop (where the same message continues to federate between the two brokers
repeatedly).

Is there a way to prevent message loops when using queue routes?

David Johnson
Princeton Consultants
2 Research Way
Princeton, NJ 08540
609.987.8787 x266

Re: queue routes and message looping

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
The brokers have loop detection build in, is there more info on the
specific config
you are using?

Carl.

On 07/13/2011 12:53 PM, DJohnson@princeton.com wrote:
> I'm trying to use queue routes to federate messages between two brokers.
> Depending on the scenario, I sometimes end up with an infinite message
> loop (where the same message continues to federate between the two brokers
> repeatedly).
>
> Is there a way to prevent message loops when using queue routes?
>

> David Johnson
> Princeton Consultants
> 2 Research Way
> Princeton, NJ 08540
> 609.987.8787 x266

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: queue routes and message looping

Posted by DJ...@princeton.com.
Thanks, that worked.  I've been able to avoid message loops by setting the
id/exclude arguments correctly.

David Johnson
Princeton Consultants
2 Research Way
Princeton, NJ 08540
609.987.8787 x266

From:   Andy Goldstein <ag...@redhat.com>
To:     <us...@qpid.apache.org>
Date:   07/13/2011 02:21 PM
Subject:        Re: queue routes and message looping

I believe that exchange and dynamic routes automatically try to avoid
loops using trace IDs and excludes, but queue routes do not have this
configured automatically.  You can specify arguments when you create your
source queue (qpid.trace.id and qpid.trace.exclude) to achieve similar
behavior.  A message will be "tagged" with the value of qpid.trace.id
whenever it is delivered to the queue.  A message that is about to be
delivered to a queue will be discarded if its "tag" matches the value of
the qpid.trace.exclude argument on the queue.

Andy

Posted by Andy Goldstein <ag...@redhat.com>.