Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Ram <we...@yahoo.com> on 2004/07/20 13:21:43 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache + Libs Size Issues ?

Hi,
   I want to install apache in an embedded system
  I have only one module (My Own)

  I want the apache to execute "my code" (in my
module)
  whenever the specified url is specified.

  Apache should do the basic things, it should read
conf
  file and do what it is doing now.

  I want to include only my module and no other
modules
  like mod_cgi, mod_perl etc.,

  what could be the lowest size required.

  How do i achieve it.

  Are there any steps, to prune the existing size of
  default apache installation to get the desired
results.

Thanks,
Ram

Re: [users@httpd] Apache + Libs Size Issues ?

Posted by Robert Andersson <ro...@profundis.nu>.
Ram wrote:
> I want to install apache in an embedded system
> I have only one module (My Own)
> Apache should do the basic things, it should read conf
> file and do what it is doing now.
>
> I want to include only my module and no other modules

Note that Apache will require some modules for "normal" functionality, but
it is up to you to decide which such functionality you need.

The easiest way to know this is to start by compiling Apache without any
static modules (except mod_so), but the normal set of shared (DSO) modules,
and then load them with LoadModule. When you have determined exactly which
modules you need, you can compile them statically.

Some related info:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/misc/perf-tuning.html#compiletime

I don't know which MPM is the smallest or if there is other stuff that can
be cut from the core. Check the options for configure, which might give you
some hints:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/programs/configure.html#options

If you are really concerned for size, you could also modify the compiler
options, so that it optimize for size instead of speed.

Regards,
Robert Andersson