Posted to dev@groovy.apache.org by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au> on 2017/05/09 12:57:52 UTC

Mini roadmap

Hi everyone,

We are asked from time to time about Groovy's roadmap (e.g. [1]). Having a
roadmap is conceptually a very attractive idea. It helps us plan our
releases and reminds us of our big ticket items we are wanting to do going
forward. It also helps users of the language do their planning.

Having said that, we also know that there are potential problems. We used
to have a wiki page on codehaus with a rough roadmap[2]. As others have
pointed out, it was sometimes unrealistic and/or out of date. A very
extensive list of tasks is also a maintenance burden and sometimes we spend
lots of time debating about what should be done and when even though in
reality we might only have resourcing for a small subset of the potential
ideas we collectively have. I should also mention that we have quite a bit
of information already in Jira with tickets having 3.x, 4.x etc. indicative
fix versions and don't want to duplicate that information. In any case,
that information is possibly incomplete and isn't in a very digestible form.

So, what I am proposing to do is a mini roadmap. It will just be a web page
with a few forward looking releases on it and hopefully just a few big
ticket items for each release listed. Perhaps something like this:

Release 2.5
+ Macros
+ various new AST transforms and utility classes (I'll expand slightly
later)

Release 2.6
+ Backport of new Parrot parser

Release 3.0
+ New Parrot parser
+ Revamped XML module (suggested spike to prepare for JDK9 modules)
+ @NamedArguments (or similar) for type inferencing with Map arguments

It will be important on the page to indicate that this isn't a complete
list, and have references off to other sources of information.

Let me know your thoughts (and/or suggestions for the big ticket items -
though by necessity I want to keep the listed items short, so I won't be
able to include everything).

Cheers, Paul.

[1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.groovy.devel/29273
[2]
https://web.archive.org/web/20150102193203/http://groovy.codehaus.org/Roadmap

Re: Mini roadmap

Posted by Mario Garcia <ma...@gmail.com>.
I like the idea of having that roadmap.

Do you think it would be a good idea to add dates ? e. g.  2nd quarter of
2017 or 2nd half of 2017. Nothing too tight but at least something that
could give you a hint about when is expected to be available.

El 17 may. 2017 4:33 p. m., "Guillaume Laforge" <gl...@gmail.com>
escribió:

Hi Paul,

I didn't come back to you on this email, but I like the idea of sharing
such a mini-roadmap.
Of course, a roadmap is just that, a roadmap, not a firm commitment as
carved in marble tables, but it's always good to have an overview of what's
coming. So +1 on this!

Guillaume

--
Guillaume Laforge