Posted to dev@rave.apache.org by "Franklin, Matthew B." <mf...@mitre.org> on 2011/03/25 15:48:26 UTC

Next Steps

It looks like accounts for us new committers are being created.  As we
prepare to commit the donated code bases, I thought it would be good to
lay out some of the next steps.  The last few weeks seem to have been busy
for everyone, and we haven't had many discussions regarding what we need
to do to get Rave moving forward.  The following is a list of things I
think we need to accomplish in the near term.  The list is by no means
comprehensive and there is probably a better place for it to live, but it
is intended to spark discussion.

1. Commit donated code bases
2. Finish public website on CMS (think Ross started this?)
3. Lay out wiki structure and port relevant portions to Apache wiki (think
Ate started this?)
4. Discuss working agreements for coding practices, quality, unit testing,
coverage, CI, sandbox environments, etc (Some of this is probably standard
Apache practice)
5. Analyze initial feature list from proposal and review donated feature
sets
6. Discuss high level architecture and agree on basic design
7. Agree on process for "cherry picking" features and integrating them
into the Rave code base
8. Commit initial project structure and configure CI
9. Begin work on features

This list is high-level, but I think it is a good starting place.  Time to
get this project moving forward!

-Matt

Re: Next Steps

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@cs.indiana.edu>.
I confess I know nothing about Surfnet and Mitre code bases, but in general I second the strategy of fresh start. This gives us all an opportunity to think fresh on a well designed architecture. I think the expertise and lessons learn't in building existing three code bases will be much more valuable then the code itself.  Nothing to undermine the existing code, just emphasizing more on the architecture then on existing implementations.

In regards to the above, just want to refresh that since we decided to keep the feature set high level in proposal, revisiting this with lower level details might be necessary before we dive into the architecture.

Suresh

Re: Next Steps

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.
On 28 Mar 2011, at 18:09, Franklin, Matthew B. wrote:

> My current thought regarding this strategy is to start fresh.  Adopting
> any one code base as a starting point or trying to merge two together will
> probably not produce the best product.  If we are after quality and
> consistency of style over quick release, then this approach will allow us
> to define as a group the structure and function of the application we
> build.
>
> I am flexible on this point, but want to ensure that we have a strategy
> that builds a robust, scalable, high-quality code base.

I think also starting anew will make it easier for other people to contribute.

Re: Next Steps

Posted by "Franklin, Matthew B." <mf...@mitre.org>.

Re: Next Steps

Posted by Marlon Pierce <mp...@cs.indiana.edu>.

RE: Next Steps

Re: Next Steps

Posted by Marlon Pierce <mp...@cs.indiana.edu>.

Re: Next Steps

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Yes, re-reading my words I can see it might be read as "get consensus" I agree with Sylvain. My intention was that 1) and 3) happen in quick succession. Proceed with the assumption that no objection will be raised. If one is raised we have a wonderful time machine (subversion) to resolve the issue.

Sent from my mobile device.

Re: Next Steps

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: Next Steps

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@bluxte.net>.

Re: Next Steps

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
On 26/03/2011 23:38, Upayavira wrote:
> I'll try to do a karma grant for Rave folks tomorrow, meaning you can
> all start committing to your hearts content :-)

I just did it.

If anyone on the initial committer list cannot now write to the Rave svn
then I did something wrong. Please mail this list with your availid and
ask us to check it.

How do you know if you have access? you could add your name, in
alphabetic order, to the list of contributors on our "in progress" web
site. To do so follow these instructions:

- install CMS bookmarklet from the bottom of https://cms.apache.org/
- http://rave.staging.apache.org/rave/people.html
- click the CMS bookmarklet
- click edit
- make your edit
- tick the "quick commit" checkbox and enter a log message

Since you ticked "quick commit" you will have triggered a staging build
with this commit (without it you commit but no staging build is carried
out - handy if you know you have more to do).

View your work by clicking "staged"

If this process fails at any point then let us know.

If it did work, feel free to improve the very rough skeleton site I've
put together. Note that you can checkout the site files using SVN and
work on them locally.

There's some info on the CMS at http://www.apache.org/dev/cmsref.html

There's a new committer guide at
http://www.apache.org/dev/new-committers-guide.html

and a FAQ at http://www.apache.org/dev/committers.html

you know where we are if you need help

Re: Next Steps

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.

Re: Next Steps

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Re: Next Steps

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.
Scott,

I assume Franklin referred mostly to the shared services offered by asf-infra. Yes, we can and should use them.

In terms of coding practices, depending on how you define that, there are actually strictly enforced coding practices. For instance non trivial changes, design aspects, etc. should be discussed on the mailing list first. However I believe you were referring to the code style, which is up to the pmc/developers, the ASF does not enforce anything in that area, you are correct.

Just a minor clarification,
Hadrian

Re: Next Steps

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.