Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Steve Radich <st...@bitshop.com> on 2008/02/21 21:48:31 UTC

Bogus MX -> blacklist service viable?

What's everyone's opinion on something like:

defermx.<domain>.com
bogusmx.<domain>.com

provide this hosted (i.e. I'm thinking of offering), but instead of ONLY
log it somehow feed / create a blacklist based on this?

I'm not as familiar with blacklists as many of you, but the network /
smtp / logging side of this is easy for me to implement.

I'm thinking make this a very public (free) service to gather data for
the blacklist, anyone could list the mx.

Thoughts?

Steve Radich - http://www.aspdeveloper.net /
http://www.virtualserverfaq.com
BitShop, Inc. - Development, Training, Hosting, Troubleshooting -
http://www.bitshop.com

Large spam IP list - was Re: Bogus MX -> blacklist service viable?

Posted by Larry Ludwig <la...@gmail.com>.

> 79.137.219.171
> 79.137.223.42
> 79.137.225.194
> 79.137.231.242
> 79.137.233.223
> 79.137.235.210
> 79.137.235.252
> 79.137.237.210

Slightly off subject,

This list of class Cs appears to be a HUGE block 79.137.170ish.0/24 -
79.137.240.0ish a russian spam gang.  They appear to right now be using the
odd ending class/24s.  I suspect they will be using the evens in the next
few weeks.

-L
--
Larry Ludwig
Empowering Media

Re: Bogus MX -> blacklist service viable?

Posted by Marc Perkel <ma...@perkel.com>.

Rob McEwen wrote:
> [...]
> method misses.
>
> For example, I took that last 100 ivmSIP catches and ran them against
> Zen.
>
> 88 of these 100 were already caught by Zen.
>
> Of the 12 left, 3 were caught by widely used and respected dnsbls:
>
> 84.79.21.212 (spamcop)
> 200.66.32.226 (dsbl/psbl)
> 212.147.5.133 (spamcop & Mark Perkel's "host karma" list)
>
> As shown, of the 12 left, (and of these three), 1 was caught by
> Perkel's host karma list, which, therefore, is probably the *only* IP
> of these 12 that the "connected only to the highest MX" method would
> have caught.
>
> (of those not caught by zen...)
> While your stats show that 50% of what the "connected only to the
> highest MX" method catches was also caught by ivmSIP. These additional
> stats above show that the "connected only to the highest MX" method
> catches *only* 8% of the spams that ivmSIP catches (again, of those
> not already in Zen.)
>
> Of these twelve, 9 of them are IPs that would NOT have been caught by
> ANY reliable FP-safe DNSBLs, nor would these (likely) be caught by the
> "connected only to the highest MX" method.
>
> Here are those 9 "uniques" (for anyone to examine/critique):
>
> 79.137.219.171
> 79.137.223.42
> 79.137.225.194
> 79.137.231.242
> 79.137.233.223
> 79.137.235.210
> 79.137.235.252
> 79.137.237.210
> 213.254.194.26
>
> 9 "uniques" out of 100 doesn't sound impressive... and most of these
> were already caught by UCEPROTECT's "level 3", but that is UCE's most
> FP-risky list... and certainly a list too FP-riskly to outright block
> or score high on... UCE even states that this list, "probably will
> cause collateral damage to innocent users when used to block email"
>
> But since, in contrast, ivmSIP has an extremely low FP-rate and seeks
> to *not* ever create collateral damage, then, unlike UCE-3, when these
> IPs show up in ivmSIP, they are safe to outright block (or score very
> high, for those who are ultra careful) without fear of FPs.
>
> (of course, during the time it took me to type this message, another
> 1,142 IPs were added to ivmSIP. This was an 'ad hoc" snapshot... I
> suspect that a few of these "uniques" will get into other lists by the
> time that some people read this post. But, in the meantime, spams send
> from these IPs to those who use ivmSIP have been blocked.)
>
> FINAL NOTE: ivmSIP seeks to be a supplemental list focused mostly on
> new series of spams... and purposely skips out on listing spammer's
> IPs that have been in circulation for more than X number of
> weeks/months... therefore, Zen is going to list many IPs that ivmSIP
> isn't even trying to list. So ivmSIP is NOT trying to be a Zen
> replacment, but, instead, more of a supplement.

Rob - you make a good point about the 24 hours after issue. I can detect
the spambots in almost real time. The combination of the no quit and
only hitting the highest numbered MX takes about 2 minutes. (The
connection inavtivity timeout). Once detected the IP is added to a list
and then on the next 5 minute cycle I have them in my black list ready
for the world to read. What I'm seeing is that I'm blacklisting faster
that Spamhaus is so many of these IPs that overlap 24 hours later might
not overlap if you compared them in real time.

Re: Bogus MX -> blacklist service viable?

Posted by Rob McEwen <ro...@invaluement.com>.

Posted by Aaron Wolfe <aa...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 7:55 AM, Marc Perkel <ma...@perkel.com> wrote:

>  Aaron Wolfe wrote:
>
>  On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 11:47 PM, Marc Perkel <ma...@perkel.com> wrote:
>

>  Steve Radich wrote:
>  > Sorry; apparently I was unclear.
>  >
>  > MX records I'm saying as follows:
>  > 100 - Real
>  > 200 - Real perhaps, as many "real" as you want
>  > 300 - Bogus - one that blocks port 25 with tcp reset for example
>  > 400 - accept port, logs ip -> blacklist (not to be scored
>  > aggressively at all) with a 421/retry.
>  >
>  > If a whole bunch of places are seeing the same smtp server hitting this
>  > 400 level MX then I'm saying that seems like a useful thing to be
>  > included in a blacklist using a low score in sa.
>  >
>  > The point was to offer the 400 level mx as a free service to log the ips
>  > quickly for those that don't want to set up the server themselves.
>  >
>  > In theory the 400 level MX wouldn't be used by "real" smtp very often,
>  > hence it's likely a spammer and therefore the IP could be auto
>  > blacklisted. Realize I'm NOT proposing we block on this, just score
>  > based on this list.
>  >
>  > Steve Radich - http://www.aspdeveloper.net /
>  > http://www.virtualserverfaq.com
>  > BitShop, Inc. - Development, Training, Hosting, Troubleshooting -
>  > http://www.bitshop.com
>  >
>  >

>  I'm actually doing something like that. What I do is track hits on the
>  highest MX that has not hit the lowest numbered MX, then because I use
>  Exim I can track which IP addresses don't send the QUIT command to close
>
>  I am thinking about playing around with the same type of thing here..
> Is this any different from looking for "lost connection after DATA" or
> "lost connection after RCPT" errors in a postfix server's logs? Not
> sure why you can detect this because you run Exim specifically. Or
> am I missing something?
>
>  Exim has ACLs that let you do things when the QUIT is received or not
> received. Exim probably has 100x the commans that Postfix does and you can
> do a lot of tricky stuff in Exim that no other MTA has.
>

>  the connection. This combination creates a highly reliable blacklist and
>  I'm currently tracking about 1.1 million virus infected spambots that
>  have tried to spam me in the last 4 days.
>
>  It's my hostkarma list.
>

>  Sounds interesting.. do you block based on this list or just use it
> for scoring in SA or something like that? What is the false positve
> rate?
>

>  Yes, I do block based on this list. Ther are some false positives but it's
> rare. I have a way for people to remove themselves from the list. There are
> other criteria that we blacklist on as well that makes for a few FP. But
> it's extremely low. I've put a lot of effort into getting it right.

Ok...  I have 24 hours of data to play with..  at first results seemed
promising. I found over 300,000 hosts that had connected only to my
higest MX and did not issue a quit.  But.. of that group:

96.0% are listed on spamhaus (zen, i did not breakdown onto the
individual lists)
2.3% of the hosts *not* listed on spamhaus are listed on Rob McEwen's
ivmSIP list (note that this is over 50% of the remaining hosts, about
10% higher than this list's hit rate with my normal mail flow).

I don't have the zone files for any other RBLs and I didn't want to
send out 300k queries via DNS.  But I think the picture is fairly
clear..  a vast majority of the hosts hitting the fake high MX will be
hosts already listed in major RBLs.

I'm sure my quick test is not perfect.  The remaining 1.7% of hosts
may include some amount of non spam sources (very small if any I would
guess).  Also, I ran the RBL checks all at once at the end of the
cycle. so some of the hits were 24 hours old.  Some amount of the
remainder were probably on the RBLs at the time they hit my server and
were since removed.

I will continue to look into this to see if today was a typical day.
Based on these number though... is this a promising way to reduce
server load/blacklist more hosts... or is this pointless?  I'm
interested in what people think since the data is so easy to gather
and use, if it makes any sense to use it.

-Aaron

Re: Bogus MX -> blacklist service viable?

Posted by Marc Perkel <ma...@perkel.com>.

Posted by Aaron Wolfe <aa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marc Perkel <ma...@perkel.com>.

Steve Radich wrote:
> Sorry; apparently I was unclear.
>
> MX records I'm saying as follows:
> 	100 - Real
> 	200 - Real perhaps, as many "real" as you want
> 	300 - Bogus - one that blocks port 25 with tcp reset for example
> 	400 - accept port, logs ip -> blacklist (not to be scored
> aggressively at all) with a 421/retry.
>
> If a whole bunch of places are seeing the same smtp server hitting this
> 400 level MX then I'm saying that seems like a useful thing to be
> included in a blacklist using a low score in sa.
>
> The point was to offer the 400 level mx as a free service to log the ips
> quickly for those that don't want to set up the server themselves.
>
> In theory the 400 level MX wouldn't be used by "real" smtp very often,
> hence it's likely a spammer and therefore the IP could be auto
> blacklisted.  Realize I'm NOT proposing we block on this, just score
> based on this list.
>
> Steve Radich - http://www.aspdeveloper.net /
> http://www.virtualserverfaq.com
> BitShop, Inc. - Development, Training, Hosting, Troubleshooting -
> http://www.bitshop.com

I'm actually doing something like that. What I do is track hits on the
highest MX that has not hit the lowest numbered MX, then because I use
Exim I can track which IP addresses don't send the QUIT command to close
the connection. This combination creates a highly reliable blacklist and
I'm currently tracking about 1.1 million virus infected spambots that
have tried to spam me in the last 4 days.

It's my hostkarma list.

RE: Bogus MX -> blacklist service viable?

> On Thu, 2008-02-21 at 21:58 +0100, Raymond Dijkxhoorn wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>

>>> provide this hosted (i.e. I'm thinking of offering), but instead of
ONLY
>>> log it somehow feed / create a blacklist based on this?
>>>
>>> I'm not as familiar with blacklists as many of you, but the network
/
>>> smtp / logging side of this is easy for me to implement.
>>>
>>> I'm thinking make this a very public (free) service to gather data
for
>>> the blacklist, anyone could list the mx.
>>>
>> Whats wrong with :
>>
>> http://www.rfc-ignorant.org/tools/submit_form.php?table=bogusmx
>>

> wrong direction.  That lists domains that don't have their MX records
> set up properly, not ip addresses that attempt to send mail to sites
> that are not MX records.

and the difference is?

if you force our servers to retry each time we connect to your server,
then we will find other people to talk to (in short, we'll BL you)
unless you ask the IETF to modify SMTP by adding a "knocking"
requirement.

Re: Bogus MX -> blacklist service viable?

Posted by mouss <mo...@netoyen.net>.

Posted by "McDonald, Dan" <Da...@austinenergy.com>.
On Thu, 2008-02-21 at 21:58 +0100, Raymond Dijkxhoorn wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > provide this hosted (i.e. I'm thinking of offering), but instead of ONLY
> > log it somehow feed / create a blacklist based on this?
> >
> > I'm not as familiar with blacklists as many of you, but the network /
> > smtp / logging side of this is easy for me to implement.
> >
> > I'm thinking make this a very public (free) service to gather data for
> > the blacklist, anyone could list the mx.
>
> Whats wrong with :
>
> http://www.rfc-ignorant.org/tools/submit_form.php?table=bogusmx

wrong direction.  That lists domains that don't have their MX records
set up properly, not ip addresses that attempt to send mail to sites
that are not MX records.

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE #2495, CISSP #78281, CNX
Austin Energy

Re: Bogus MX -> blacklist service viable?

Posted by Raymond Dijkxhoorn <ra...@prolocation.net>.
Hi!

> provide this hosted (i.e. I'm thinking of offering), but instead of ONLY
> log it somehow feed / create a blacklist based on this?
>
> I'm not as familiar with blacklists as many of you, but the network /
> smtp / logging side of this is easy for me to implement.
>
> I'm thinking make this a very public (free) service to gather data for
> the blacklist, anyone could list the mx.

Whats wrong with :

http://www.rfc-ignorant.org/tools/submit_form.php?table=bogusmx

Bye,
Raymond.

Re: Bogus MX -> blacklist service viable?

Posted by Raymond Dijkxhoorn <ra...@prolocation.net>.
Hi!

>> defermx.<domain>.com
>> bogusmx.<domain>.com
>>
>> provide this hosted (i.e. I'm thinking of offering), but instead of ONLY
>> log it somehow feed / create a blacklist based on this?
>>
>> I'm not as familiar with blacklists as many of you, but the network /
>> smtp / logging side of this is easy for me to implement.
>>
>> I'm thinking make this a very public (free) service to gather data for
>> the blacklist, anyone could list the mx.
>>
>> Thoughts?

> I'm confused. What are you trying to accomplish?

I thought i was lost, but even if Marc can follow you ;) eh eh ....

Bye,
Raymond.

Re: Bogus MX -> blacklist service viable?

Posted by Marc Perkel <ma...@perkel.com>.