Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Michael Segel <ms...@hotmail.com> on 2014/12/11 12:23:08 UTC

Hive 14 performance and scalability?

Hi,

While I haven’t upgraded to HDP 2.2, I have to ask if the transaction
processing introduced in 14 has been tested at scale in terms of both
users, and data size?

I am curious as to what happens if you have a long transaction how well
it copes.

Thx

-Mike

Re: Hive 14 performance and scalability?

Posted by Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com>.
Mike,

I've tested it with inserts, updates, and deletes in the 100k rows per
partition range, and with multiple but not hundreds of users.  The thing
to keep in mind is the transactional changes don't affect tables that
you don't explicitly mark as transactional, so this shouldn't affect
existing installs or users who aren't interested in the functionality.

Given our design we don't expect long running transactions to be an
issue, other than it will prevent cleaning up old versions of the data
used by the long running query, which may result in temporary bloat for
a table or partition.  Also, keep in mind that currently all DML
operations are auto-commit so it is harder (though not impossible) to
get a long running transaction.

Alan.

--
Sent with Postbox <http://www.getpostbox.com>