Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "James H. H. Lampert" <ja...@touchtonecorp.com> on 2013/07/10 21:23:48 UTC

Collision on port 8005 -- what to do about it?

We appear to be having, on a multi-IP-address system, a collision with
port 8005, causing Tomcat to crash on takeoff.

Looking at server.xml, I see that 8005 is not mentioned in any
"connector" definition, but rather in this:

> <Server port="8005" shutdown="SHUTDOWN">

I know how to bind a connector to a specific IP address, but I know
nothing about this. Neither do I know what would happen if, once Tomcat
is up, we were to attempt to send a shutdown message in the usual way:
would we shut Tomcat down, or would we shut whatever owns 127.0.0.1:8005?

--
JHHL

Re: Collision on port 8005 -- what to do about it?

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 10/07/2013 20:23, James H. H. Lampert wrote:
> We appear to be having, on a multi-IP-address system, a collision with
> port 8005, causing Tomcat to crash on takeoff.
>
> Looking at server.xml, I see that 8005 is not mentioned in any
> "connector" definition, but rather in this:
>
>> <Server port="8005" shutdown="SHUTDOWN">
>
> I know how to bind a connector to a specific IP address, but I know
> nothing about this. Neither do I know what would happen if, once Tomcat
> is up, we were to attempt to send a shutdown message in the usual way:
> would we shut Tomcat down, or would we shut whatever owns 127.0.0.1:8005?

Tomcat version?

Tomcat 7 supports the address attribute in the server element.

Alternatively set the port to -1 and use kill <pid> to stop Tomcat.
Tomcat registers a shutdown hook so the effects of the kill are
identical to using the script.

Mark

RE: Collision on port 8005 -- what to do about it?

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: James H. H. Lampert [mailto:jamesl@touchtonecorp.com]
> Subject: Re: Collision on port 8005 -- what to do about it?

> We ended up changing the port number.

> But do we have to change it anywhere else, for shutdown to work properly?

No, the startup and shutdown scripts both use the server.xml file to figure out what to do.

 - Chuck

Re: Collision on port 8005 -- what to do about it?

Posted by Daniel Mikusa <dm...@gopivotal.com>.
On Jul 10, 2013, at 3:56 PM, John Renne <jo...@gniffelnieuws.net> wrote:

>> I know how to bind a connector to a specific IP address, but I know nothing about this. Neither do I know what would happen if, once Tomcat is up, we were to attempt to send a shutdown message in the usual way: would we shut Tomcat down, or would we shut whatever owns 127.0.0.1:8005?
>>
> As far as I know, there's no way to bind the shutdown port to a specific IP-address, you can however change the shutdown port for every tomcat instance.

Depends on the version.  See the "address" attribute that was added in Tomcat 7.

https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/server.html

Dan

Re: Collision on port 8005 -- what to do about it?

Posted by John Renne <jo...@gniffelnieuws.net>.

> I know how to bind a connector to a specific IP address, but I know nothing about this. Neither do I know what would happen if, once Tomcat is up, we were to attempt to send a shutdown message in the usual way: would we shut Tomcat down, or would we shut whatever owns 127.0.0.1:8005?

As far as I know, there's no way to bind the shutdown port to a specific IP-address, you can however change the shutdown port for every tomcat instance.

John

Re: Collision on port 8005 -- what to do about it?

Posted by Daniel Mikusa <dm...@gopivotal.com>.
On Jul 10, 2013, at 3:23 PM, James H. H. Lampert <ja...@touchtonecorp.com> wrote:

> We appear to be having, on a multi-IP-address system, a collision with port 8005, causing Tomcat to crash on takeoff.
>
> Looking at server.xml, I see that 8005 is not mentioned in any "connector" definition, but rather in this:
>
>> <Server port="8005" shutdown="SHUTDOWN">

This is the shutdown port that Tomcat starts.  See here.

  https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/server.html

> I know how to bind a connector to a specific IP address, but I know nothing about this. Neither do I know what would happen if, once Tomcat is up, we were to attempt to send a shutdown message in the usual way: would we shut Tomcat down, or would we shut whatever owns 127.0.0.1:8005?

Tomcat would shutdown.  You can disable it if you wish.  Just set port="-1".

  https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/security-howto.html#server.xml

Dan