Posted to users@maven.apache.org by lu...@quatico.com on 2020/10/02 07:05:48 UTC

Maven Plugins & Confusing Versioning

Hi All & Maven Devs

My name is Lukas, I'm a software engineer working at some very little
company located in Switzerland (called Quatico).

I wanted to let you know that the versioning that is used in (as far as I
can see) all Maven Plugins (e.g. Apache Maven Install Plugin 3.0.0-M1) is
very confusing <to the world>.

I can see on the corresponding Website (e.g.
https://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-install-plugin/download.cgi ) the
these milestone releases are declared to be stable.

My company did not upgrade plugin versions basically for some years now
because (when just seeing the version itself) decided "Nope, its only a
milestone, thus not stable".

So in contrast to the maven plugin versions, the community is pretty clear
about what x.y.z-M1 means: It's a pre-release for early testing purposes
(e.g. see you "partner" projects explanation for it here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_versioning ).

I don't want to complain (I now know the versions are stable) but the usage
of your new version would probably pike much quicker around the work if you
followed the "regular" versioning scheme.

Why use the Major part (3), then completely ignoring Minor (always 0) and
Patch (always 0 as well) parts, to then fall back to Milestones? I cannot
see an advantage in it.

Hope the input might help!

Cheers

Lukas

Re: Maven Plugins & Confusing Versioning

Posted by Greg Chabala <gr...@gmail.com>.
I agree with other users' sentiments here. I was ignoring the milestone
releases for a long time as though they were unfinished and unsuitable for
stable use.

Additionally, I have my version checking plugin configured to ignore
milestones based on how they are used by other projects, and there's little
point to making an exception for Maven plugin versions.

Greg Chabala

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> next major version is "stable" (3.0.0)
> So of course such a "prerelease" could be "stable enough" to be used in
> production, but who knows in which ways it could possibly break? or change
> in backwards-incompatible ways in a future 3.0.0-M2 or the final 3.0.0?
> Only people following the plugin's development closely can know.
>
> So, if the message you want to send is "use that 3.0.something version,
> it's absolutely OK for production use (and btw we'll fix 2.5.3 bugs in a
> 3.0.0-M2, not a 2.5.4)", then tag it as 3.0.0 (or 2.5.4 or 2.6.0), not
> 3.0.0-M1.
> If you want to make it clear that some feature is not "stable" yet (in its
> API/configuration, or possibly buggy), then you could add warnings in the
> docs and even issue a warning at runtime if it's being used (I know people
> don't pay attention to warnings, and I think mostly because Maven output is

From a user's POV, I agree that the messaging on "M" releases is unclear.

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
There's a migration plan for moving plugin from Maven2 to Maven3[1]
As long as these steps haven't been finished, but people expect us to do releases due to bugfixes or improvements, we must use some pre 3.0.0 as version, hence the milestones.

For the plugins that are marked as M, most I can explain (if I recall them correctly):
install+deploy: issues with different implementations of Aether/Maven Resolver
enforcer: issues with dependency graph
release: new architecture
surefire/failsafe: new architecture

In all cases, the plugin should still work as 2.x (unless parameters has been replaced/removed, going for a new major is the only opportunity to makes these kind of changes).

thanks,
Robert

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/Plugin+migration+to+Maven3+dependencies

Posted by Thomas Broyer <t....@gmail.com>.
(sorry for the delay)

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

On 03.10.20 11:47, Thomas Broyer wrote:
> Wait, you mean that you don't even follow your own rules for versions ⁉️
> where milestones sit between beta and RC versions.

Can you explain which rules you are referencing?

We are doing that for a very long time... The point not using RC's is
simply we do not see any advantage over a 3.1.2 ?

we usually release a plugin lets say 3.1.0 .. ..

So now someone finds a bug that means we will release 3.1.1 etc. In this
case releasing an RC1 would not help here and would produce a
intermediate release 3.1.1-RC1 ... which in the end finally has no
difference to 3.1.1 ? So no advantage only formal steps (vote's etc.)..

[...]

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

Posted by Thomas Broyer <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.