Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com> on 2013/08/26 19:27:43 UTC

[DISCUSS] Gearing up for an official CloudMonkey independent release

Hi all,

I'm looking at what it's going to take to get CloudMonkey out as an
official release.  Here's what I believe needs to be done:

1) Legal doc check (I think we're good here, since I just added the
NOTICE file)

2) Release process document

3) Add an initial pre-cache file to the repo itself.  I want to do this,
so that it doesn't require you to have a running 4.1+ ACS install in
order to do a CloudMonkey build.

4) Kick out a release

5) Update the cloudstack.apache.org website to provide links to the
cloudmonkey component's source repo and distinct artifacts.

Once we get this first release out, we need to probably stop publishing
to pypi outside of the *official release* process.  That being said,
it'll be easier to release CloudMonkey independently.

Thoughts, comments, flames?

-chip

Re: [DISCUSS] Gearing up for an official CloudMonkey independent release

Posted by Prasanna Santhanam <ts...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 10:17:58AM +0530, Prasanna Santhanam wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 01:27:43PM -0400, Chip Childers wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm looking at what it's going to take to get CloudMonkey out as an
> > official release.  Here's what I believe needs to be done:
> >
> > 1) Legal doc check (I think we're good here, since I just added the
> > NOTICE file)
> >
> > 2) Release process document
> >
> > 3) Add an initial pre-cache file to the repo itself.  I want to do this,
> > so that it doesn't require you to have a running 4.1+ ACS install in
> > order to do a CloudMonkey build.
> >
> > 4) Kick out a release
> >
> > 5) Update the cloudstack.apache.org website to provide links to the
> > cloudmonkey component's source repo and distinct artifacts.
> >
> > Once we get this first release out, we need to probably stop publishing
> > to pypi outside of the *official release* process.  That being said,
> > it'll be easier to release CloudMonkey independently.
> >

> Two questions:
>
> If I read that correctly. It should still go to pypi but alongside CS
> releases?
>
> Seeing as Rohit wanted to do faster iterations [1] on CloudMonkey do you
> want to make the CloudMonkey release process also an official process
> but seperate from the ACS releases?
>
> If yes to both, I'm +1 on the proposal.
>
> [1] http://cloudstack.markmail.org/thread/nut3di5fath7yhbd

D'oh. ignore me. I see the subject now.

--
Prasanna.,

------------------------
Powered by BigRock.com

Re: [DISCUSS] Gearing up for an official CloudMonkey independent release

Posted by Prasanna Santhanam <ts...@apache.org>.

--
Prasanna.,

------------------------
Powered by BigRock.com

Re: [DISCUSS] Gearing up for an official CloudMonkey independent release

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
IMO: JFDI

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 01:27:43PM -0400, Chip Childers wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking at what it's going to take to get CloudMonkey out as an
> official release.  Here's what I believe needs to be done:
>
> 1) Legal doc check (I think we're good here, since I just added the
> NOTICE file)

Done, but could use a second pair of eyes.

> 2) Release process document

In the readme, but I'll create a wiki page the first time I do it for
real.

> 3) Add an initial pre-cache file to the repo itself.  I want to do this,
> so that it doesn't require you to have a running 4.1+ ACS install in
> order to do a CloudMonkey build.

Done for 4.2.

> 4) Kick out a release

Anyone object to starting with an RC for this?  If I don't hear
objections, I'll create an RC and start a vote for a 5.0.0 release of
CloudMonkey.

> 5) Update the cloudstack.apache.org website to provide links to the
> cloudmonkey component's source repo and distinct artifacts.

I'd do this once the release is published.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 01:42:04PM +0530, Rohit Yadav wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 10:57 PM, Chip Childers
> <ch...@sungard.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm looking at what it's going to take to get CloudMonkey out as an
> > official release.
>
> Thanks Chip for taking this further.
>
> >  Here's what I believe needs to be done:
> >
> > 1) Legal doc check (I think we're good here, since I just added the
> > NOTICE file)
>
> I don't see any NOTICE file in tree?
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=cloudstack-cloudmonkey.git;a=tree

pushing helps.  done

> > 2) Release process document
> >
> > 3) Add an initial pre-cache file to the repo itself.  I want to do this,
> > so that it doesn't require you to have a running 4.1+ ACS install in
> > order to do a CloudMonkey build.
>
> +1 I thought about doing it, but then decided not to within the repo
> but all existing cloudmonkey releases on pypi have the precache
> bundled with them, there is a build step in the Makefile which does
> that.

The problem I have with that is that I require a target CS mgmt server
to do the build.  I'd like to be able to allow anyone to build, and then
use, even if they don't have a version of CloudStack running that
supports API discovery.  Think about all of the 3.x or 4.0 users, and
CloudMonkey works (sort of) well enough for them.

Posted by Rohit Yadav <bh...@apache.org>.
<ch...@sungard.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking at what it's going to take to get CloudMonkey out as an
> official release.

Thanks Chip for taking this further.

>  Here's what I believe needs to be done:
>
> 1) Legal doc check (I think we're good here, since I just added the
> NOTICE file)

I don't see any NOTICE file in tree?
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=cloudstack-cloudmonkey.git;a=tree

> 2) Release process document
>
> 3) Add an initial pre-cache file to the repo itself.  I want to do this,
> so that it doesn't require you to have a running 4.1+ ACS install in
> order to do a CloudMonkey build.

+1 I thought about doing it, but then decided not to within the repo
but all existing cloudmonkey releases on pypi have the precache
bundled with them, there is a build step in the Makefile which does
that.

> 4) Kick out a release
>
> 5) Update the cloudstack.apache.org website to provide links to the
> cloudmonkey component's source repo and distinct artifacts.
>
> Once we get this first release out, we need to probably stop publishing
> to pypi outside of the *official release* process.  That being said,
> it'll be easier to release CloudMonkey independently.
>
> Thoughts, comments, flames?

Regards.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 08:31:33PM +0000, Chiradeep Vittal wrote:
> Does the release require voting?

Absolutely.  If it's a release from the project, it's just like any
other release.

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.