Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Steve Muench <St...@oracle.com> on 2003/04/28 13:53:22 UTC

ANN: Struts/BC4J Toy Store Demo & Whitepaper

Announcing the conscientiously commented and extensively explained

                      ----------------------------
                      Struts / BC4J Toy Store Demo
                      ----------------------------

The demo is at:

  http://otn.oracle.com/sample_code/products/jdev/bc4jtoystore/content.html

The accompanying whitepaper is at:

  http://otn.oracle.com/sample_code/products/jdev/bc4jtoystore/readme.html

This demo and its accompanying detailed whitepaper illustrate and
explain best practices techniques for building a simple web storefront
application as an MVC-style web application using existing frameworks.

In particular, the demo shows how to use:

      -> Jakarta Struts for the Controller layer
      -> JSP for the View layer
      -> Oracle's BC4J J2EE framework for the Model layer

in a way that maximizes "out-of-the-box" functionality for the
developer, and minimizes the amount of application infrastructure code
that needs to be authored by hand.

The demo is designed to look and work similarly to the original "Java
Pet Store" demo that Sun published a few years ago, so hopefully it
will be instantly familiar to anyone who has played with or looked at
that demo. It comes translated into English, Italian, and German to
illustrate the multilanguage features of Struts and BC4J as well.

Re: ANN: Struts/BC4J Toy Store Demo & Whitepaper

Posted by Steve Muench <St...@oracle.com>.
I decided to use the simplest possible JSP pages to make the
demo as easy to understand to the broadest audience of JSP/Struts developers,
regardless of how long they've been using Struts.

Not everyone using Struts is yet leveraging Tiles and JSTL yet, so I stuck
with what I knew everyone would have had contact with.

I agree that a future rev of the demo should upgrade to illustrating how Tiles could
also be used, as well as JSTL. I've added it to my todo list. Thanks for the idea.

Steve Muench - Developer, Product Mgr, Java/XML Evangelist, Author
Building a Web Store with Struts and BC4J (BC4J Toy Store Demo)
http://otn.oracle.com/sample_code/products/jdev/bc4jtoystore/content.html
Simplify J2EE Development with the Oracle BC4J Framework
http://otn.oracle.com/products/jdev/htdocs/j2ee_bc4j.html
Dive into BC4J at http://radio.weblogs.com/0118231/
Building Oracle XML Apps, http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/orxmlapp

Posted by Vernon <ve...@gatewaytech.com>.