Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Darren Grant <dg...@kerberos-productions.com> on 2004/12/07 07:16:52 UTC

dump recent/create/load retaining old revision numbers?

Hi,

I recently did a couple dump/load cycles to upgrade a repository and
backup/eliminate very old revisions.  Is it possible to load a dump file
into a new repository so that the original revision numbers are
retained?  My goal is to make these changes with minimal client disruption.

-darren

Re: dump recent/create/load retaining old revision numbers?

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Dec 7, 2004, at 1:16 AM, Darren Grant wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I recently did a couple dump/load cycles to upgrade a repository and
> backup/eliminate very old revisions.  Is it possible to load a dump
> file into a new repository so that the original revision numbers are
> retained?  My goal is to make these changes with minimal client
> disruption.

Of course, that's the norm.  'svnadmin load' just replays every commit
in the dumpfile into a repository.  So if you dump a repository, then
load into an newly created repository (i.e. one that starts out empty),
you end up with exactly the same revision numbers.  If you load into a
pre-populated repository, then all the revision numbers will be
shifted.