Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Arpit Agarwal <ar...@gmail.com> on 2014/11/17 23:59:18 UTC

chaos monkey

Hi All,
I have setup Solr 4.9.0 in a 3 shard configuration running on tomcat servers.
I want to run a test with chaos-monkey to ensure the availability of
the entire system.
Can someone tell me, how I can integrate chaos-monkey with Solr or
make use of Solr test-framework to do the same?

Thanks & Regards
Arpit A

Re: chaos monkey

Posted by Manoj Bharadwaj <mb...@gmail.com>.
Chaos monkey is designed to work n an AWS context. It uses your AWS account
credentials and via API terminates instances in EC2. So if you have your
shards in EC2, the documentation can be followed to configure it to
terminate the instances as needed.

If you are looking specifically to terminate just tomcat, AFAIK there isn't
a monkey in the simian army that does what you want. There may be other OSS
projects that does this. You can use Latency Monkey from within the simian
army tools to test how your servers handle latency.

It may be simple to just write a shell script to randomly kill a tomcat
instance - if you have ssh setup it will be simple to do something with
Ansible without needing a lot of tools (other than python).