Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Mark McBride <ma...@llnl.gov> on 2003/04/02 18:16:27 UTC

Re: Why no multiple locations of sources? ( was Re: inter-project dependencies for the Eclipse plugin )

I also like the idea listed in the email below.

As to Ben's email here are my answers:

Why do you have multiple source trees?

We are using two tools for our projects. One tool is a code generation tool
for our o/r mapping layer and we would like to keep it in it's own src
directory to alleviate problems with the tool killing code we produce with
the other tool.

What is in them?

We have our object/relational mapping wizard driven code in one src
directory and we have another src directory that is managed by eclipse
which we write all of our code that uses the object/relational wizard
created code.

Do they build distinct artifacts?
They build one distinct war/ear for our projects.

Currently we use a jelly script to move the to src's into a "build/src"
directory used by Maven as it's individual src directory. So each project
needs this jelly script and it starts to look more like ant projects. It
would be nice if Maven did this copy for us.

My other concern was somewhat separate from the pom issue of multiple
sources. I would like a way to define multiple sources so that plug-ins
like eclipse:generate-project could take them into account and include the
appropriate src entries in the eclipse specific classpath file. Maybe I
should start a separate thread on that subject sense it is somewhat
different then the multiple src pom issue.

I do think that whatever decision is made about multiple source directories
there should be some documentation stating how maven uses source
directories, why it does it that way, etc. I haven't worked on projects
with multiple source directories before so it would be nice to see
documentation on the downfalls of multiple source directory projects.

-Mark

Mark T. McBride
Computer Scientist
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory