Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Ugo Cei <u....@cbim.it> on 2004/08/11 10:32:29 UTC

The Rich Thin Client

I'm sure all of you regularly read Slashdot, but anyway:

"August 11, 2004, (Mountain View, CA). The Mozilla Foundation, in
collaboration with Novell and IBM, today announced the formation of a
project to implement the W3C's XForms 1.0 Recommendation."

<http://www.mozilla.org/press/mozilla-2004-08-10.html>

I find this really exciting. I am becoming more and more convinced that
the "thin" client (i.e. the Web browser) is the client platform of the
future, but "thin" does not necessarily mean "poor".

Now, who wants to start enabling Cocoon Forms with XForms support?

	Ugo

Re: The Rich Thin Client

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Gianugo Rabellino wrote:

> On Aug 11, 2004, at 10:32 AM, Ugo Cei wrote:
>

>> Now, who wants to start enabling Cocoon Forms with XForms support?
>

> *If* and *when* browser support will really be there, I guess we'll all
> be eager to implement it... too bad this is the last of a few announces
> I heard in the past years.

I had a chat with Michell Baker at OSCON and my impression is that
things are pretty serious about it. I think Microsoft's Avalon is
putting pressure on them.

--
Stefano.

Re: The Rich Thin Client

Posted by Ugo Cei <ug...@apache.org>.
Il giorno 11/ago/04, alle 11:20, Gianugo Rabellino ha scritto:

>> Now, who wants to start enabling Cocoon Forms with XForms support?
>
> *If* and *when* browser support will really be there, I guess we'll
> all be eager to implement it... too bad this is the last of a few
> announces I heard in the past years.

Since you wrote "the last" instead of "the latest", probably you think
this is either the good one or if this fails, nobody will ever try
again ;-)

Seriously, I wasn't really implying that we start adding XForms support
today. I realize I should have put a couple smileys in that sentence.

	Ugo

--
Ugo Cei - http://beblogging.com/

Re: The Rich Thin Client

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.
On Aug 11, 2004, at 10:32 AM, Ugo Cei wrote:

> Now, who wants to start enabling Cocoon Forms with XForms support?

*If* and *when* browser support will really be there, I guess we'll all
be eager to implement it... too bad this is the last of a few announces
I heard in the past years.

Ciao,
--
Gianugo Rabellino

Re: The Rich Thin Client

Posted by Ugo Cei <ug...@apache.org>.
Il giorno 11/ago/04, alle 10:53, Antonio Gallardo ha scritto:

> Good idea. Already you saw XUL?

A few years ago, but it was so buggy and ill-documented that I quickly
gave up. I hope things have changed by now.

--
Ugo Cei - http://beblogging.com/

Re: The Rich Thin Client

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
Ugo Cei dijo:
> I'm sure all of you regularly read Slashdot, but anyway:
>
> "August 11, 2004, (Mountain View, CA). The Mozilla Foundation, in
> collaboration with Novell and IBM, today announced the formation of a
> project to implement the W3C's XForms 1.0 Recommendation."
>
> <http://www.mozilla.org/press/mozilla-2004-08-10.html>
>
> I find this really exciting. I am becoming more and more convinced that
> the "thin" client (i.e. the Web browser) is the client platform of the
> future, but "thin" does not necessarily mean "poor".
>
> Now, who wants to start enabling Cocoon Forms with XForms support?

Good idea. Already you saw XUL?

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo