Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2021/01/29 11:43:51 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.5.63

The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.5.63 release is now available for voting.

The notable changes compared to the 8.5.61 release are:

- Add a new StringInterpreter interface that allows applications to
  provide customised string attribute value to type conversion within
  JSPs. This allows applications to provide a conversion
  implementation that is optimised for the application.

- Add peerAddress to coyote request, which contains the IP address of
  the direct connection peer. If a reverse proxy sits in front of
  Tomcat and the protocol used is AJP or HTTP in combination with the
  RemoteIp(Valve|Filter), the peer address might differ from the
  remoteAddress. The latter then contains the address of the client in
  front of the reverse proxy, not the address of the proxy itself.

- Escape elements in the access log that need to be escaped for the
  access log to be parsed unambiguously.

Along with lots of other bug fixes and improvements.

For full details, see the changelog:
https://ci.apache.org/projects/tomcat/tomcat85/docs/changelog.html

It can be obtained from:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.5.63/

The Maven staging repo is:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1298/

The tag is:
https://github.com/apache/tomcat/tree/8.5.63
eb8d36c30857866536e8c931731c9f86980b00a6

The proposed 8.5.63 release is:
[ ] Broken - do not release
[ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.5.63

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.5.63

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jan 29, 2021 at 12:44 PM Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.5.63 release is now available for voting.
>
> The notable changes compared to the 8.5.61 release are:
>
> - Add a new StringInterpreter interface that allows applications to
>   provide customised string attribute value to type conversion within
>   JSPs. This allows applications to provide a conversion
>   implementation that is optimised for the application.
>
> - Add peerAddress to coyote request, which contains the IP address of
>   the direct connection peer. If a reverse proxy sits in front of
>   Tomcat and the protocol used is AJP or HTTP in combination with the
>   RemoteIp(Valve|Filter), the peer address might differ from the
>   remoteAddress. The latter then contains the address of the client in
>   front of the reverse proxy, not the address of the proxy itself.
>
> - Escape elements in the access log that need to be escaped for the
>   access log to be parsed unambiguously.
>
> Along with lots of other bug fixes and improvements.
>
> For full details, see the changelog:
> https://ci.apache.org/projects/tomcat/tomcat85/docs/changelog.html
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.5.63/
>
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1298/
>
> The tag is:
> https://github.com/apache/tomcat/tree/8.5.63
> eb8d36c30857866536e8c931731c9f86980b00a6
>
> The proposed 8.5.63 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.5.63

Rémy

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.5.63

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jan 29, 2021 at 1:43 PM Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.5.63 release is now available for voting.
>
> The notable changes compared to the 8.5.61 release are:
>
> - Add a new StringInterpreter interface that allows applications to
>   provide customised string attribute value to type conversion within
>   JSPs. This allows applications to provide a conversion
>   implementation that is optimised for the application.
>
> - Add peerAddress to coyote request, which contains the IP address of
>   the direct connection peer. If a reverse proxy sits in front of
>   Tomcat and the protocol used is AJP or HTTP in combination with the
>   RemoteIp(Valve|Filter), the peer address might differ from the
>   remoteAddress. The latter then contains the address of the client in
>   front of the reverse proxy, not the address of the proxy itself.
>
> - Escape elements in the access log that need to be escaped for the
>   access log to be parsed unambiguously.
>
> Along with lots of other bug fixes and improvements.
>
> For full details, see the changelog:
> https://ci.apache.org/projects/tomcat/tomcat85/docs/changelog.html
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.5.63/
>
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1298/
>
> The tag is:
> https://github.com/apache/tomcat/tree/8.5.63
> eb8d36c30857866536e8c931731c9f86980b00a6
>
> The proposed 8.5.63 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [ X ] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.5.63

Regards,
Martin

[VOTE][RESULT] Release Apache Tomcat 8.5.63

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
The following votes were cast:

Binding:
+1: remm, fhanik, mgrigorov, markt

No other votes were cast.

The vote therefore passes.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this release.

Mark

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.5.63

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 31/01/2021 05:51, Igal Sapir wrote:

<snip/>

> I ran the unit tests twice on Ubuntu 20.04 with Java 11.0.9.1 and got
> failures on both runs in the following tests
>
>    [concat] Testsuites with failed tests:
>    [concat]
> TEST-org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.TestGroupChannelMemberArrival.*.txt
>    [concat]
> TEST-org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.TestNonBlockingCoordinator.*.txt
>    [concat]
> TEST-org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.TestOrderInterceptor.*.txt
>    [concat]
> TEST-org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.TestTcpFailureDetector.*.txt
>
> Are they related to recent changes?

I don't think so. I don't think the tribes code has changed much (or at
all) in the last couple of releases.

A number of the tribes tests have been unreliable historically. I spent
some time trying to improve things a little while back. I made some
progress but I do still see some failures from time to time. Taking
another look is on the TODO list.

Mark

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.5.63

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.