Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Waseem Bokhari <wa...@netsoltech.com> on 2011/01/31 06:32:22 UTC

Merging in Subversion

Greetings!
                        After a long struggle; Finally I have transferred
all my 100 + VSS Projects to Subversion in Windows environment. I have
strong Branching and Merging requirements for these. I have some Qs from you
guys:-

.         Which Best practices you guys will advice for this?
.         What is the scope of merging files in Subversion?
.         Is there any best way to merge files in SVN or you need to
incorporate any strong merging tool?
.         What Tool do you recommend in case of over statement true?

Gracias

 Cheers!

cid:image001.jpg@01CA74D6.C3770120

Waseem Bokhari I Configurations and Release Management
NetSol Technologies (NasdaqCM: NTWK)
Tel: +92 42 111448800 Ext: 346 Mob: +92 321 4294926
 <ma...@netsoltech.com> waseem.bokhari@netsoltech.com
<http://www.netsoltech.com/> www.netsoltech.com

DISCLAIMER:  This e-mail and any file transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely
for the use of the addressee.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby advised that
any dissemination, distribution or copy of this email or its attachments is strictly prohibited.  If you
have received this email in error, please immediately notify us by return email and destroy this email
message and its attachments.  This communication may contain forward-looking statements
relating to the development of NetSol Technologies' products and services and future operations.
The words "believe," "expect," "anticipate," "intend," variations of such words, and similar
expressions, identify forward looking statements, but their absence does not mean that the
statement is not forward-looking.  Views and opinions contained herein are those of the author of
this email and do not necessarily represent those of NetSol Technologies.  Statements contained
herein are not guarantees of future performance and are subject to certain risks, uncertainties and
assumptions that are difficult to predict. The company will not undertake to update any statements
contained herein.

WARNING: The recipient should check this email and any attachment for the presence of viruses.
Although the company has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this
email, the company does not accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of
this email or attachment. Note: Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.

RE: Merging in Subversion

Posted by Bob Archer <Bo...@amsi.com>.
> > .  Is there any best way to merge files in SVN or you need to
> > incorporate any strong merging tool?
>
> Text files are handled well by SVN's builtin merging capabilities.
> For other
> files, I don't know how to merge them. In practice, I consider
> anything
> non-textual as non-mergable, too. This means that merging requires
> manual aid
> (unless the base version of both branches is equal, in that case
> SVN does the
> job automatically) and that the "needs-lock" property is always
> set.

In our shop the policy is that if a fix is made in a version to a binary file, that same fix is applied to higher versions. This is usually an issue with reports since we use crystal the .rpt files are binary. It seems to work for us but may not work for others. If only every file could be textual... ;)

BOb

Re: Merging in Subversion

Posted by Ulrich Eckhardt <ul...@dominolaser.com>.
On Monday 31 January 2011, Waseem Bokhari wrote:
> After a long struggle; Finally I have transferred all my 100 + VSS Projects
> to Subversion in Windows environment.

Congrats! We did the same a few years ago and we never looked back.

> I have strong Branching and Merging requirements for these. I have some
> Qs from you guys:-
>
> .         Which Best practices you guys will advice for this?

I'd go for what the online book (see my signature) advises. These are defaults
that fit 98% of all cases. I haven't looked recently, but make sure you
always merge to the same target directory (root of the project) and that you
keep changes atomar so you can merge them separately.

> .  What is the scope of merging files in Subversion?

I don't understand this question.

> .  Is there any best way to merge files in SVN or you need to
> incorporate any strong merging tool?

Text files are handled well by SVN's builtin merging capabilities. For other
files, I don't know how to merge them. In practice, I consider anything
non-textual as non-mergable, too. This means that merging requires manual aid
(unless the base version of both branches is equal, in that case SVN does the
job automatically) and that the "needs-lock" property is always set.

> . What Tool do you recommend in case of over statement true?

Since you are on MS Windows, I'd suggest TortoiseSVN, but that is not
specifically for merging.

Cheers!

Uli

Domino Laser GmbH, Fangdieckstraße 75a, 22547 Hamburg, Deutschland
Visit our website at <http://www.dominolaser.com/>
Diese E-Mail einschließlich sämtlicher Anhänge ist nur für den Adressaten bestimmt und kann vertrauliche Informationen enthalten. Bitte benachrichtigen Sie den Absender umgehend, falls Sie nicht der beabsichtigte Empfänger sein sollten. Die E-Mail ist in diesem Fall zu löschen und darf weder gelesen, weitergeleitet, veröffentlicht oder anderweitig benutzt werden.
E-Mails können durch Dritte gelesen werden und Viren sowie nichtautorisierte Änderungen enthalten. Domino Laser GmbH ist für diese Folgen nicht verantwortlich.