Posted to xindice-users@xml.apache.org by "Dr. Klemens Waldhör" <Wa...@t-online.de> on 2002/07/11 07:20:11 UTC

XINDICE performance and platform

Hi,

I intend to test (use ?) XINDICE for a CMS system which ideally should
consists of a huge amount of documents, basically consisting of only a
few different types.

The questions I have now:

A) Are there any experiences about the performance (time, memory) of
XINDICE out there ? What is the limit where it gets too slow ?

B) Which platform is recommended ? I am curently using XINDICE on
Windows XP (768 MB RAM), but till now I only imported a small amount of
test objects - and have a lot of troubles with XPATH queries. My
impression till now was - in other projects I did - with other dbs on
various OS - that there is not really much performance difference
between using Windows, Solaris or LINUX. I even had the impression that
Windows is the faster alternative (despite other drawbacks).

C) What about stability ?

D) I am a Perl fan :-) Has anyone used XINDICE together with Perl (maybe
via RPC) ?

E) Can XINDICE run as a Windows service ?

Thanks for your help !

Klemens

Dr. Klemens Waldhör
Software and Language Technology Consultancy
Friedrichstr. 17
D-90574 Roßtal

Tel: +49 9127 579001
Mobile: +49 172 8104945
FAX: +49 9127 951178
e-mail: dr.klemens.waldhoer@waldhor.com
http://www.waldhor.com
http://waldhoer.bei.t-online.de
Interested in OpenSource Terminology Management ?
Have a look at OpenNetTerminologyManager at
http://openwebterm.sourceforge.net/
Test Version: http://openwebterm.sourceforge.net/indexop.html

AW: XINDICE performance and platform

Posted by Daniel Kröger <ze...@zesolo.net>.
> Hi,

Hello,

> I intend to test (use ?) XINDICE for a CMS system which
> ideally should consists of a huge amount of documents,
> basically consisting of only a few different types.
>
> The questions I have now:
>
> A) Are there any experiences about the performance (time,
> memory) of XINDICE out there ? What is the limit where it
> gets too slow ?
>
> B) Which platform is recommended ? I am curently using
> XINDICE on Windows XP (768 MB RAM), but till now I only
> imported a small amount of test objects - and have a lot of
> troubles with XPATH queries. My impression till now was - in
> other projects I did - with other dbs on various OS - that
> there is not really much performance difference between using
> Windows, Solaris or LINUX. I even had the impression that
> Windows is the faster alternative (despite other drawbacks).
>
> C) What about stability ?
>
> D) I am a Perl fan :-) Has anyone used XINDICE together with
> Perl (maybe via RPC) ?

Single answer to question a-d:
Currently I'm writing my Diploma thesis about the use of xml databases
and cms.
I'm using Xindice together with a well known CMS (at least in Germany
:-)).
The CMS is written in Perl and I'm connecting both systems with the
Frontier::RPC module.
And I have to say it works great. The same CMS also has an api for
Tamino, but the performance with Xindice is better!
Unfortenately I can't say anything about stability, because I just
started the whole thing.

> E) Can XINDICE run as a Windows service ?

There is a complete
Xindice-Installer(http://www.thatwaltguy.com/xinstaller/), which uses
the Tomcat Service Manager!
So it can!

> Thanks for your help !
>
> Klemens

Daniel

AW: XINDICE performance and platform

Posted by Stefan Lischke <li...@novacom.net>.
Hi,

> I intend to test (use ?) XINDICE for a CMS system which ideally should
> consists of a huge amount of documents, basically consisting of only a
> few different types.

Thats how i use Xindice too, is it a professional CMS or ur own?

> A) Are there any experiences about the performance (time, memory) of
> XINDICE out there ? What is the limit where it gets too slow ?

I never get to the limit and i have about 2 gigs in my Xindice.
But u have to use the right Indexes for such amount of data.

Some Month ago someone wrote that xindice is able to hold 1 Million
documents with a size of about 20-50kb efficiently..... take u calculator ;)

> B) Which platform is recommended ? I am curently using XINDICE on
> Windows XP (768 MB RAM), but till now I only imported a small amount of
> test objects - and have a lot of troubles with XPATH queries.

I would decide to linux, cause the xpath problem u already have and Xindice
is open like a "scheunentor" so u have to install a firewall, which is much
better to do in linux.

> C) What about stability ?

no problem, im running it since last year

> D) I am a Perl fan :-) Has anyone used XINDICE together with Perl (maybe
> via RPC) ?
i did it with PHP, its working, but there are some special character
Problems. Think twice and develop in Java and use the fine JavaAPI

hope that helps