Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Padmahas Bn <pa...@gmail.com> on 2019/07/04 04:16:33 UTC

[users@httpd] Expose my server to internet

Hello,

Out of curiosity, I just want to access my server over internet.
I have forwarded port 80.
I have got a free domain in NoIP.
In my router I've also configured the settings and successfully logged in.
But when I test whether my port 80 is accessible, it's not opened.
This is my home system, using Ubuntu 18.04. I've not enabled any firewall
by myself.

So just wanted to know whether should I configure anything in Apache httpd
to make port 80 accessible?

Thank you.

Re: [users@httpd] Expose my server to internet

Posted by Richard szajkowski <va...@gmail.com>.
Is this a home network or a business network ?

Some isp block ports , I would do a port scan to make sure it’s open ,  and then make sure the box that is hosting your sever has a static IP and you have the correct ip in your router for forwarding that static ip

Richard Szajkowski

Posted by James Moe <ji...@sohnen-moe.com.INVALID>.
On 2020-01-14 12:33 PM, Padmahas Bn wrote:

>     -- what is the public IPnumber of your server?
>
> I'm not sure whether it's OK or not to tell my public IP openly. But I can give
> partial IP address.

  What is the point of public IP if you tell no one what it is.

  As others have noted, access to your site is blocked either by your ISP, by
your firewall or router, or both.
  Many ISPs have two general services: residential and business. Often the
residential service does not allow incoming/public service access to a host,
like HTTP or email.

--
James Moe
moe dot james at sohnen-moe dot com

Re: [users@httpd] Expose my server to internet

Posted by Monah Baki <mo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Richard,

If this is a home setup, check your home router to see if your port
forwarding is setup.

Monah

Posted by Richard <li...@listmail.innovate.net>.

Posted by Padmahas Bn <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Otis Dewitt - NOAA Affiliate <ot...@noaa.gov.INVALID>.

Posted by "Larry Irwin (work)" <la...@ccamedical.com>.

Posted by Richard <li...@listmail.innovate.net>.

Posted by Padmahas Bn <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Monah Baki <mo...@gmail.com>.
Check firewall

Posted by Richard <li...@listmail.innovate.net>.

Posted by Padmahas Bn <pa...@gmail.com>.
Continued from my previous email.
One more interesting observation.

I've forwarded both both port 80 and port 8080.
On port 80 my Apache web server is running on port 8080, Tomcat server is
running.

When I hit IP_ADDR:80, I got "Connection timed out".
When I hit IP_ADDR:8080, I got "This site can't be reached".

Any reason why this happened?

Thank you,

Posted by Padmahas Bn <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hello @Bob Cochran, @James Moe

Posted by James Moe <ji...@sohnen-moe.com.INVALID>.

Posted by "rexkogitans@gmx.at" <re...@gmx.at>.
This bails down to the same thing: Either your host establishes the
tunnel, or there is no way to reach it. In fact, this is a gateway
exclusively for your host - exactly something your ISP does not have.

Posted by "Walter H." <Wa...@mathemainzel.info>.

Posted by "rexkogitans@gmx.at" <re...@gmx.at>.
Could it be that you have a Provider Grade NAT?

This means that your host is within your home LAN, and this home LAN is
within a LAN of the Internet provider. If you ask for your IP address on
sites like whatismyipaddress.com, you see the IP address that your
provider's gateway has in the Internet. Thousands of other hosts which
are also customers of your provider could have the same IP address then.

If so, there is no way to access your host from outside (from the
Internet zone). There is also no way to access your host from within
another host of your ISP's network, because the intrazone traffic is
usally blocked.

kr,

rexkogitans

Posted by Bob Cochran <ht...@mindchasers.com>.
On 7/4/19 12:16 AM, Padmahas Bn wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Out of curiosity, I just want to access my server over internet.
> I have forwarded port 80.
> I have got a free domain in NoIP.
> In my router I've also configured the settings and successfully logged in.
> But when I test whether my port 80 is accessible, it's not opened.
> This is my home system, using Ubuntu 18.04. I've not enabled any
> firewall by myself.

I think you're saying that you can access port 80 on your local network
but not from the Internet and are wondering what's blocking it.   It's
another matter if you can't access your website on your own local
network.  If that's the case, yes, you need to configure your conf file
properly.  Read the tutorial on the apache site for a walk through.

I'm not sure what you mean by "successfully logged in" into your router.

Your router will need to support NAT to translate your local IP address
to the one on the Internet.

If I was you, the first thing I would do is run tcpdump or wireshark on
your machine running apache and make sure you see an HTTP request coming
in and a response going back out.   You can do the same thing while
testing your local network, too.

Something like:

$ sudo tcpdump -i enp2s0 -vvvSXn port 80

This should give you the clues as to what's happening on your network.
Of course, you can also see a request in your apache log.   I think the
default on Ubuntu for the log is /var/log/apache2/access.log

This page on our site might help you with tcpdump:
https://mindchasers.com/dev/tools-tcpdump

Good luck,

Bob

Posted by Bob Cochran <ht...@mindchasers.com>.
On 7/4/19 1:45 PM, Padmahas Bn wrote:
> Hello Bob, Richar and Mark,
> Thank you for your response.
>
> *@**Bob Cochran*,
> Yeah, I can access port 80 form my local but not from internet. I'm
> trying to access my IP from mobile network (Not wifi, from data pack)
> Please find my comments below.
>
>     I'm not sure what you mean by "successfully logged in" into your
>     router.
>
> As I said, I've registered a free domain name on NoIP.com, I had to
> configure dynamic DNS in my router to synchronize my external/public
> IP (since it is dynamic in nature) with my registered domain name
> automatically. So i meant that configuration was successful.
>
>     Your router will need to support NAT to translate your local IP
>     address
>     to the one on the Internet.
>
> I'm using TP-Link 300M Wireless N Router, Model No. TL-WR841N /
> TL-WR841ND.
> I hope this supports NAT.

It sounds like you need to open a port on your router to forward port 80
to your apache server.  Be careful about which ports you open and
realize that once you do, others will discover it.  On the outside, you
don't have to open 80.  It might be helpful to pick a high, obscure port
number to avoid bots that scan ports searching for ways to gain entry
into private networks.

>     sudo tcpdump -i enp2s0 -vvvSXn port 80
>
> I'm not sure which parameters I need to change here according to my
> system. I just ran the same command and got output as
> tcpdump: enp2s0: No such device exists
> (SIOCGIFHWADDR: No such device)

enp2s0 is the name of my Ethernet  network interface.  I can discover it
by running ifconfig.

It seems that you're somewhat new to networking.  I recommend that you
install Wireshark on your Ubuntu machine and read some tutorials about it.

Posted by Flaviu Radulescu <fl...@lumminary.com.INVALID>.
Here is a link to your router configuration with all the details of how to do the port forwarding: https://www.tp-link.com/us/user-guides/tl-wr841n_v14/chapter-4-configure-the-router-in-wireless-router-mode#ug-sub-title-7

---
FLAVIU RADULESCU | Lumminary  |  lumminary.com<https://lumminary.com/>

Posted by Richard szajkowski <va...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Padmahas Bn <pa...@gmail.com>.