Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Nick Stolwijk <ni...@gmail.com> on 2020/03/11 09:00:00 UTC

Use latest versions vs use latest releases

We are trying to upgrade the dependencies of our projects by using the
Maven Versions plugin. I read the page at the Maven Versions plugin[1] and
I am confused. The goal description for use-latest-releases reads: `searches
the pom for all non-SNAPSHOT versions` while the table reads that only
-SNAPSHOT dependencies are considered. On the other hand there is the
use-latest-versions goal which says: `searches the pom for all versions
which have been a newer version` and considers release and snapshot
versions according to the table. Based on that information I think I need
use-latest-versions. Am I correct?

There is only a problem with use-latest-versions. It replaces properties
and instead using the versions itself[2]. Although that issue is closed as
won't fix.

If I use use-latest-releases I stumble upon issue 346[3], which has a fix
in a fork, but isn't yet merged.

Which goal is the correct goal, which issues are still open issues and what
is needed to make this more clear?

[1]
https://www.mojohaus.org/versions-maven-plugin/examples/advancing-dependency-versions.html
[2] https://github.com/mojohaus/versions-maven-plugin/issues/109
[3] https://github.com/mojohaus/versions-maven-plugin/issues/346

With regards,

Nick Stolwijk

~~~ Try to leave this world a little better than you found it and, when
your turn comes to die, you can die happy in feeling that at any rate you
have not wasted your time but have done your best ~~~

Lord Baden-Powell

Re: Use latest versions vs use latest releases

Posted by Matthieu Brouillard <br...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nick,

In several companies I have worked for, including the current one, we:

   - used 'update-properties' & 'update-parent' goals only
   - defined a property for each dependency/plugin version in all our poms
   - provided a global enterprise wide 'rules.xml' see [1] & [2]
   - used restrictions for some properties [3] (search for `If you want to
   restrict updates to within a specific range` in the page)

This was always automated in the CI so that we received on our projects a
PR with the required changes to update.

Hope it helps.

Matthieu

[1] :