Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Trevor Grant <tr...@gmail.com> on 2016/08/26 17:52:27 UTC

Flink WebUI on YARN behind firewall

I decided it made the most sense to open up a new thread.

I am running Flink on a cluster behind a firewall.  Things seem to be
working fine, but when I access the YARN web-ui and click on the flink
application-ui, i get the jobmanager ui, but it is broken.

It is a broken link to a flink image and
[image: Apache Flink Dashboard]Apache Flink Dashboard

   -  Overview
   -  Running Jobs
   -  Completed Jobs
   -  Task Managers
   -  Job Manager
   -  Submit new Job

but none of the links work, no images no pretty formatting.  does anyone
have a quick idea why this would be?  I found
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/flink-user/201511.mbox/%3CCAGr9p8B_aKhbjLqVQQUZeO_eSz6P=eWKP+Kg1sQ65SB0npsX2Q@mail.gmail.com%3E

but that seems to be more related to running jobs than accessing the UI

any help would be appreciated

tg

Trevor Grant
Data Scientist
https://github.com/rawkintrevo
http://stackexchange.com/users/3002022/rawkintrevo
http://trevorgrant.org

*"Fortunate is he, who is able to know the causes of things."  -Virgil*

Re: Flink WebUI on YARN behind firewall

Posted by Trevor Grant <tr...@gmail.com>.
Ahh, sorry I misunderstood.

Your comment provided insight for me though.

To anyone else who is having issues, maybe the following will help them.  I
was trying to deploy Flink on an IBM BigInsights Cloud cluster (disclaimer,
I work for IBM, not trying to promote a company, but they do give me free
cluster time so I tend to play there).

At anyrate- flink_example.py is a script that will do it nice and clean for
anyone on BigInsights Cloud, and may be useful for other similar cloud YARN
deployments so I'll just leave it here...
https://github.com/rawkintrevo/bluemix-extra-services

The solution in short-
1) install flink-
2) run yarn-session.sh
3) parse the stdout from above command (see python script, easy to follow
or email me if not)
4) open the ApplicationUI via the Yarn UI, go to the #/submit tab
5) in the submit tab, IF you open with a web browser (bc it relies on
javascript) it may give you a hostname:port <- save that port
6) combine the port you just got , with an IP address you got when parsing
in step 3
7) open ssh tunneling to that IP:port

Ugly, but it does work.

best

tg

Trevor Grant
Data Scientist
https://github.com/rawkintrevo
http://stackexchange.com/users/3002022/rawkintrevo
http://trevorgrant.org

*"Fortunate is he, who is able to know the causes of things."  -Virgil*

Posted by Vijay Srinivasaraghavan <vi...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Trevor,

    On Friday, August 26, 2016 10:52 AM, Trevor Grant <tr...@gmail.com> wrote:

 I decided it made the most sense to open up a new thread.
I am running Flink on a cluster behind a firewall.  Things seem to be working fine, but when I access the YARN web-ui and click on the flink application-ui, i get the jobmanager ui, but it is broken.
It is a broken link to a flink image and Apache Flink Dashboard

Posted by Shannon Carey <sc...@expedia.com>.
I've noticed this too. The UI incorrectly tries to load its resources (CSS, JS) from root. Try adding a trailing slash to the URL.

-Shannon