Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Daniel Veillard <ve...@rufus.w3.org> on 1998/01/06 22:26:28 UTC

Re: performance comparison

> Are there any numbers about the performance one could expect from
> Apache? Things like hits/second and sustained transfer rate.
>
> I know that these numbers depend highly on operating system and
> hardware, but I´m not looking for exact numbers, just something to
> compare my measurements to and get an idea if I have room for
> optimization left.

 Running a robot on a machine on the same Ethernet hub
(server is a biPPro-200 + 256 MB ram + linux 2.0.33, client is a P200
 32 MB of ram and linux  2.0.33) apache-1.2.4

The robot is sucking a mirror of the linux documentation project pages,
and is running in a serialized way (one page after another, no concurrency).

Apache + HTTP/1.0
-----------------
1581 pages fetched in 36 seconds

Apache + HTTP/1.1
-----------------
1508 pages fetched in 20 seconds

  the HTTP/1.1 test culminated at approx 800 Ko/s. The generated load on
the server was approx 0.3 .

  This is not a "perfect" nor "realistic" test (if such a bench could ever
been made :-) , but may give a point of comparison.

Daniel

--
Daniel.Veillard@w3.org | MIT/LCS   Room NE43-344 | Today's Bookmarks :
Tel : +1 617 253 5884  | 545 Technology Square   | Linux, WWW, Java,

Re: performance comparison

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.
If you could give that a whirl with 1.3b3 it'd be great... 1.3b3 should
show an improvement on static sites.  Even for HTTP/1.1 pipelining clients
you should see an improvement... unless you've hit your network bandwidth
already :)  Oh wait, 800kb/s eh?  Well I guess you're just about at limit
anyhow.

I can just picture the code now going crazy assembling writev()s and
mmap()ing files.  I should download the most recent version of your robot
someday and make sure 1.3 is assembling writev()s properly for pipelined
clients.  Can you send me a link?

Dean