Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Sylvain Lebresne <sy...@datastax.com> on 2011/09/08 12:14:22 UTC

Cassandra 1.0: Freezing it to make it Hotter

Ladies and Gentlemen,

It is now September 8th everywhere which means that the 1.0 freeze is now in
effect.

We are now entering the phase of heavy testing/debugging, aiming at a final
release October 8th. This means a month, which in my opinion can be done, but
only if we all focus our efforts ib testing/debugging.

Allow me to remind everyone that this release will be called Apache Cassandra
1.0. Whether we want it or not, people will see special meaning in that
number and have higher expectations. We *need* to have a release as solid as
possibly can. So please, do help testing as much as possible in the coming
weeks.

To have things moving, I propose we aim for calling the vote on a first beta
release at the end of next week (say next Thursday for instance).

I just moved to 1.1 all the tickets that didn't sounded like bug fixes. And
good news, 1.0 has almost no bugs. That being said:
  1. If you think I've been unfair on what I've moved (in one way or the
     other), feel free to voice your objections.
  2. I don't believe this '1.0 has almost no bugs'. Let's do some real testing.
  3. For now, everything that is not 1.0 material has been pushed to 1.1. This
     doesn't mean everything will have to wait the next major release. We'll
     sort out what goes into 1.0.1 a bit later. The branches for 1.0 and 1.0.1
     still also remain to be created. Trunk is 1.0 until then. Feel free to
     see that as a suggestion that 1.0 should be the exclusive focus right
     now.

Thanks everyone for your efforts, past, present and future. Cassandra 1.0 will
rock!

--
Sylvain

Re: Cassandra 1.0: Freezing it to make it Hotter

Posted by Eric Evans <ee...@acunu.com>.
On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 11:14 AM, Sylvain Lebresne <sy...@datastax.com> wrote:
> It is now September 8th everywhere which means that the 1.0 freeze is now in
> effect.

Sweet, thanks Sylvain.  One question, are you we going to be branching?

--
Eric Evans
Acunu | http://www.acunu.com | @acunu

Re: Cassandra 1.0: Freezing it to make it Hotter

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 6:43 AM, Sylvain Lebresne <sy...@datastax.com> wrote:
> On the 1.0 housekeeping business, I've created two new svn branches:
>  * 1.0.0: this is what will be ultimately released as the 1.0 final
>  * 1.0: this is for stuff that don't made the freeze but should go in
> 1.0.1. Once 1.0 has been released, we'll just remove the 1.0.0 branch
> and work from this branch as we do for 0.7 and 0.8. But the freeze
> demands that we have a specific 1.0.0 for now.
>
> And so trunk is now for the future 1.1.
>
> I've also created a 1.0.1 version in JIRA so feel free to move tickets
> from 1.1 to 1.0.1.

I also went ahead and renamed the 1.0 JIRA version to 1.0.0 for clarity.

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra

Re: Cassandra 1.0: Freezing it to make it Hotter

Posted by Sylvain Lebresne <sy...@datastax.com>.
On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 2:51 PM, Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 5:14 AM, Sylvain Lebresne <sy...@datastax.com> wrote:
>> To have things moving, I propose we aim for calling the vote on a first beta
>> release at the end of next week (say next Thursday for instance).
>
> My experience is that virtually nobody tests a release until a beta is
> available.  So I'd be in favor of doing a beta much sooner if
> possible, e.g., as soon as we fix
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-3156.

I have nothing against that.

On the 1.0 housekeeping business, I've created two new svn branches:
  * 1.0.0: this is what will be ultimately released as the 1.0 final
  * 1.0: this is for stuff that don't made the freeze but should go in
1.0.1. Once 1.0 has been released, we'll just remove the 1.0.0 branch
and work from this branch as we do for 0.7 and 0.8. But the freeze
demands that we have a specific 1.0.0 for now.

And so trunk is now for the future 1.1.

I've also created a 1.0.1 version in JIRA so feel free to move tickets
from 1.1 to 1.0.1.

All this is to avoid crazy svn manipulation in the future, but don't
take that as an excuse to start working exclusively on post-1.0
stuffs. I'm watching you!

Oh and that means that commits to 0.7 will have to merge 4 times
(0.7->0.8->1.0.0->1.0->trunk) so have fun :)

--
Sylvain

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.