Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by "Beaubien, Michael" <mb...@informatica.com> on 2010/07/10 03:12:34 UTC

blacklisted by maven central repo and mirrors

Hello,

All traffic coming from my company's network to the maven central repo
has been blocked. This happened a few years ago. Since then we have
tried using various mirrors of the central repo, but we periodically get
blocked by them as well. We do use a maven proxy to try and reduce the
amount of traffic we are sending to the servers, but we still keep
getting blocked. I am unsure why this is, maybe not all developers here
have the correct mirror settings in their pom.xml?

What would you recommend that we do? Should we create our own mirror of
the maven central repository? We would have to be un-blacklisted for
that to happen. Is there some proxy setting I should check?

Thanks,

Michael Beaubien

Re: blacklisted by maven central repo and mirrors

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@sonatype.com>.
No typical usage pattern of Maven, even by a large number of developers, generally doesn't get you blocked. We have heuristics, at least on Maven Central, that detects scrapers and that will get you instantly blacklisted. Sometimes it's a developers within an organization trying to grab the entire repository without anyone else in the organization knowing.

You should definitely use a repository, like Nexus, and privately send me your IP and I can tell you the behavior that got you blocked from central, if indeed you have been blocked.

On Jul 9, 2010, at 9:12 PM, Beaubien, Michael wrote:

> Hello,
>

> All traffic coming from my company's network to the maven central repo
> has been blocked. This happened a few years ago. Since then we have
> tried using various mirrors of the central repo, but we periodically get
> blocked by them as well. We do use a maven proxy to try and reduce the
> amount of traffic we are sending to the servers, but we still keep
> getting blocked. I am unsure why this is, maybe not all developers here
> have the correct mirror settings in their pom.xml?
>

> What would you recommend that we do? Should we create our own mirror of
> the maven central repository? We would have to be un-blacklisted for
> that to happen. Is there some proxy setting I should check?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Michael Beaubien

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

Re: blacklisted by maven central repo and mirrors

Posted by Stéphane Nicoll <st...@gmail.com>.
+1

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.
Jörg Hohwiller wrote:

> Are you (for now) talking about Maven's log message
> "repository XXX has been blacklisted"
> [...]
> Maybe some expert can shed a light into what the
> log message really means

Maven blacklists a repository upon a transfer error (during metadata
retrieval) to prevent future trips to this supposedly unhealthy server
for the rest of the build session.

Benjamin

Re: blacklisted by maven central repo and mirrors

Posted by Jörg Hohwiller <jo...@j-hohwiller.de>.
> Hello,

Hi,

> All traffic coming from my company's network to the maven central repo
> has been blocked. This happened a few years ago. Since then we have
> tried using various mirrors of the central repo, but we periodically get
> blocked by them as well. We do use a maven proxy to try and reduce the
> amount of traffic we are sending to the servers, but we still keep
> getting blocked. I am unsure why this is, maybe not all developers here
> have the correct mirror settings in their pom.xml?

Are you (for now) talking about Maven's log message
"repository XXX has been blacklisted"
or are you really talking about HTTP-reqeuests that are blocked?

IMHO these are two very different things.
Maybe some expert can shed a light into what the
log message really means - I tend to ignore it
as it shows up often without making any sense to me...

> What would you recommend that we do? Should we create our own mirror of
> the maven central repository? We would have to be un-blacklisted for
> that to happen. Is there some proxy setting I should check?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Michael Beaubien

Regards
   Jörg