Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Johan Claesson <md...@mdstud.chalmers.se> on 1999/06/05 21:27:35 UTC

os-irix/4533: makefile bug on irix

>Number:         4533
>Category:       os-irix
>Synopsis:       makefile bug on irix
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Release:        1.3.6
>Environment:
uname -a gives:
IRIX64 sgi-origin2000-1 6.4 02121744 IP27
I use SGI own MIPSPro compiler cc -32 using old 32-bit libraries (I do this because
I later want to link with mod_perl and perl is in turn linked with oracle which is
not available in N32 version)
GNU make 3.77 (also tried SGI make)
Autoconf version 2.13
Hi
make does not seem to build the src/modules/standard/mod_*.o files so it later
fails to link everything together to src/httpd. I am not sure if this is a
mistake by me somewhere, bug in autoconf, bug in make or bug in apache; I hope
this is the appropriate forum. I tried to make apache on a sparc-machine running
solaris and there everything worked fine.

/Johan

Output:

oracle@sgi-origin2000-1:0:~/apache/apache_1.3.6>setenv CC "cc -32"
oracle@sgi-origin2000-1:0:~/apache/apache_1.3.6>./configure --prefix=/usr/apache --with-perl=/usr/data/share/oracle/perl/bin/perl --disable-rule=IRIXN32 --activate-module=src/modules/perl/libperl.a --enable-shared=perl
Configuring for Apache, Version 1.3.6
 + using installation path layout: Apache (config.layout)
 + activated perl module (modules/perl/libperl.a)
Creating Makefile
Creating Configuration.apaci in src
 + enabling mod_so for DSO support
Creating Makefile in src
You are running 64-bit Irix. For now, we will compile 32-bit
but if you would care to port to 64-bit, send us the patches.
 + configured for SGI IRIX-64 platform
 + setting C pre-processor to cc -32 -E
 + checking for system header files
 + adding selected modules
    o perl_module uses ConfigStart/End
      + mod_perl build type: DSO
      + id: mod_perl/1.19
      + id: Perl/5.00502 (irix) [/usr/data/share/oracle/perl/bin/perl]
      + setting up mod_perl build environment
      + adjusting Apache build environment
 + doing sanity check on compiler and options
Creating Makefile in src/support
Creating Makefile in src/main
Creating Makefile in src/ap
Creating Makefile in src/regex
Creating Makefile in src/os/unix
oracle@sgi-origin2000-1:0:~/apache/apache_1.3.6>make
===> src
.
.
.
cc -32  -DIRIX -DMOD_PERL -DUSE_HSREGEX `./apaci`    \
      -o httpd buildmark.o modules.o modules/standard/mod_env.o modules/standard/mod_log_config.o modules/standard/mod_mime.o modules/standard/mod_negotiation.o modules/standard/mod_status.o modules/standard/mod_include.o modules/standard/mod_autoindex.o modules/standard/mod_dir.o modules/standard/mod_cgi.o modules/standard/mod_asis.o modules/standard/mod_imap.o modules/standard/mod_actions.o modules/standard/mod_userdir.o modules/standard/mod_alias.o modules/standard/mod_access.o modules/standard/mod_auth.o modules/standard/mod_so.o modules/standard/mod_setenvif.o  main/libmain.a ./os/unix/libos.a ap/libap.a regex/libregex.a
ld: FATAL 9: I/O error (modules/standard/mod_env.o): No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [target_static] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/users/mmc/johan/apache/apache_1.3.6/src'
make[1]: *** [build-std] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/users/mmc/johan/apache/apache_1.3.6'
make: *** [build] Error 2

>How-To-Repeat:
Under irix6.4 type:
cd apache_1.3.6
setenv CC "cc -32"
./configure --prefix=/usr/apache --with-perl=/usr/data/share/oracle/perl/bin/perl --disable-rule=IRIXN32 --activate-module=src/modules/perl/libperl.a --enable-shared=perl
make
>Fix:
Well as a workaround I compiled each module with a make command, like:

cd src
foreach mod ( env log_config mime negotiation status include autoindex  dir cgi asis imap actions userdir alias access auth setenvif so)
  make modules/standard/mod_$mod.o
  cp mod_$mod.o modules/standard
end
cd ..

...but that is obvious no nice permanent solution:).
Same problem occured when trying to install mod_perl. Here lots of objects files
were not build so I had to peek at the makefiles and compile them manually.
[to include <ap...@Apache.Org> in the Cc line and make sure the]