Posted to builds@apache.org by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com> on 2013/07/31 12:51:10 UTC

Maven "latest" ain't the latest anymore

Hi, when I configure my Roller Maven builds and choose "Maven (latest)",
i.e., a desire to see the app run successfully on the newest Maven you
have loaded, no matter what, I'm not getting the latest available
(3.0.4) but just the old 2.2.1:

[Roller] $ /home/hudson/tools/java/latest1.6/bin/java -cp
/home/jenkins/jenkins-slave/maven-agent.jar:/home/jenkins/jenkins-slave/classworlds.jar
hudson.maven.agent.Main /home/hudson/tools/maven/apache-maven-2.2.1
/home/hudson/jenkins-slave/slave.jar
/home/jenkins/jenkins-slave/maven-interceptor.jar 60722
/home/jenkins/jenkins-slave/maven2.1-interceptor.jar

No problem for me, I'll go back to what I had it for -- Maven 3.0.4
explicitly.

Might it be good to update the definition of "Maven (latest)" to 3.0.4;
or, alternatively, if it's a bad idea anyway to rely on a non-specific
Maven build version (and it may be, idk), just remove the Maven (latest)
option?  (Although I don't know which Maven version would be used for
those still on it.)

Incidentally, no big deal for me but when do you plan on loading Maven
3.0.5?  A new plugin I'd like to rely on unfortunately requires it
(although I think I need to issue a bug report to that plugin for
erroneously requiring that modern a version.)

Thanks,
Glen

Re: I'm as blind as a bat (Re: Maven "latest" ain't the latest anymore)

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.
Either way, the definition of "Maven (latest)" is wrong, because if
"Maven (latest)" meant the latest Maven 1 (as we already have Maven 2
(latest) and Maven 3 (latest)) it's using Maven 2.x (incorrect), and if
"Maven (latest)" meant the latest Maven loaded (3.1), it's still
incorrectly using 2.x.

My suggestions:

1.) Get rid of "Maven (latest)" as it's just too vague and its
definition changes over time across major versions.  Move any projects
on that to "Maven 2 (latest)" (as that's what it presently means anyway).

2.) Either change the text "Maven 3 (latest)" to "Maven 3.0.x (latest)"
(as it's not clear what Maven 3 latest means--3.0.x or 3.1) and consider
adding a new "Maven 3.1.x (latest)", *or* just change the text of "Maven
3 (latest) to "Maven 3.1.x (latest)" possibly without adding a "Maven
3.0.x (latest)".

Regards,
Glen

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.