Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by Jo...@reasoning.com on 2002/08/23 19:29:43 UTC

Docs on Java classes for VelocityContexts

Is there documentation on the Java class forms that are understood by
Velocity?

For example:
    public class Foo { public String bar ; }

    Foo foo ;
    context.put("foo",foo) ;

    $foo.bar

I thought that last line would work in a Velocity template, but it does
not.
On the other hand, if I add "public String getBar() { return bar ; }" to
the
class, then it does.  Is there someplace in the documentation were these
rules (getVariable method is visible, but plain old variable is not) are
listed?

Joshua Levy

Re: Docs on Java classes for VelocityContexts

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com>.
On 8/23/02 1:29 PM, "Joshua.Levy@reasoning.com" <Jo...@reasoning.com>
wrote:

> Is there documentation on the Java class forms that are understood by
> Velocity?
>
> For example:
>   public class Foo { public String bar ; }
>
>   Foo foo ;
>   context.put("foo",foo) ;
>
>   $foo.bar
>
> I thought that last line would work in a Velocity template, but it does
> not.

No - Velocity won't introspect for public members of the class, only invoke
methods.

> On the other hand, if I add "public String getBar() { return bar ; }" to
> the
> class, then it does.  Is there someplace in the documentation were these
> rules (getVariable method is visible, but plain old variable is not) are
> listed?

Probably not.  There as a recent contrib to the list that I was going to
work into the docs - that should be added to it.

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.
Research & Development, Adeptra Inc.