Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by "iphi@iphi.net" <ip...@iphi.net> on 2003/08/03 19:19:06 UTC

MP1 - libapreq1.2 broke apache / mod_perl installation

Hi

I am puzzled.

I installed libapreq1.2 on a server the normal way (perl Makefile.PL, make, make test, make install)
and now my server refuses to run Apache::Cookie or Apache::Request.

It complains of

[Sun Aug  3 18:09:29 2003] [error] Can't load '/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/i386-linux/auto/Apache/Cookie/Cookie.so' for module Apache::Cookie: libapreq.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory at /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/i386-linux/DynaLoader.pm line 206.
 at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/i386-linux/mod_perl.pm line 14

What puzzles me is that it this worked perfectly on another near identical machine.

Why does it want .so files? I thought that happened only if you installed it using the ./configure method, which I didnt.

Apache & Modperl installed from the official redhat 7.2 rpms

Please help, I have a production server that is down and I cannot think straight at the moment.

-- Joelle Nebbe, jnebbe@nebbe.net on 03/08/2003

Re: MP1 - libapreq1.2 broke apache / mod_perl installation

Posted by Iphigenie <ip...@iphi.net>.
>The latest version of ExtUtils::MakeMaker tickles a bug in
>libapreq's c/Makefile.PL. �There has been quite a bit of discussion
>of this issue in the last week on apreq-dev, p5p, and on this list
>as well.

aha!
I'd noticed some threads about compiling libapreq - should have read them in detail.

I always assume when i encounter a problem that it is my mistake/bug rather than the module's. Now and then it turns out it is the module.
I should also get out of the habit of upgrading modules without discrimination... if i'd known of the conflict I'd have left MakeMaker unchanged as libapreq is of more use to me

>Michael Schwern [hope I spelled it right :] posted two patches to
>the apreq-dev list designed to fix these problems. �As soon as
>enough folks decide which of his patches is best, we'll roll a 1.3
>release that fixes the problem.

I guess I'll just sit tight and wait, then.
My mod_perl knowledge is not good enough to help here - and besides I am in a fight of my own with Apache::Session::Postgresql :(

-- Iphigenie, iphi@iphi.net on 04/08/2003

Re: MP1 - libapreq1.2 broke apache / mod_perl installation

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@sunstarsys.com>.
Iphigenie <ip...@iphi.net> writes:

[...]

> >What puzzles me is that it this worked perfectly on another near
> >identical machine.
> >
> >Why does it want .so files? I thought that happened only if you
> >installed it using the ./configure method, which I didnt.

The latest version of ExtUtils::MakeMaker tickles a bug in
libapreq's c/Makefile.PL.  There has been quite a bit of discussion
of this issue in the last week on apreq-dev, p5p, and on this list
as well.

Michael Schwern [hope I spelled it right :] posted two patches to
the apreq-dev list designed to fix these problems.  As soon as
enough folks decide which of his patches is best, we'll roll a 1.3
release that fixes the problem.

[...]

> The question remains: what did i naively do wrong the first time?

Probably nothing- this is a bug in libapreq.

--
Joe Schaefer

Re: MP1 - libapreq1.2 broke apache / mod_perl installation

Posted by Iphigenie <ip...@iphi.net>.
>I installed libapreq1.2 on a server the normal way (perl
>Makefile.PL, make, make test, make install) and now my server
>refuses to run Apache::Cookie or Apache::Request.
>
>It complains of
>
>[Sun Aug  3 18:09:29 2003] [error] Can't load
>'/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/i386-
>linux/auto/Apache/Cookie/Cookie.so' for module Apache::Cookie:
>libapreq.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
>directory at /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/i386-linux/DynaLoader.pm line 206.
>at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/i386-linux/mod_perl.pm line 14
>
>What puzzles me is that it this worked perfectly on another near
>identical machine.
>
>Why does it want .so files? I thought that happened only if you
>installed it using the ./configure method, which I didnt.

I looked and I had files all over the place in my perl library tree, in Apache, libapreq, Apache/Cookie, Apache/Request, Apache/libapreq etc etc
I reckon I had several versions in parallel and Dynaloader mixed and matched as it pleased.

So I deleted all those Cookie.pm, Cookie.so, Request.pm, Request.so etc. etc. and reinstalled libapreq 1.0
My server works again so the panic is gone.

The question remains: what did i naively do wrong the first time?

Thanks