Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Peter Alvin <pa...@flexbase.com> on 2002/08/14 21:49:04 UTC

Hooking up Tomcat to Apache

Tomcat is running fine in standalone mode but I'm having difficulty
hooking it up to Apache.

I've configured Tomcat's server.xml file and I have an include file
in Apache's httpd.conf file that points to a copy of the auto
-generated tomcat-apache.conf file (where I've corrected the path to
the mod_jserv.so module).

When surf to www.mydomain.com/appName I get a "Cannot find server"
page (interestingly, not a 404).

If you don't mind, I have a few questions.

1) Fact1: When tomcat runs in standalone mode, its default port is
8080.  Fact2: my auto-generated tomcat-apache.conf file has the line
"ApJServDefaultPort 8007".  Question: Does that mean I have to
manually start Tomcat on 8007 (instead of 8080) in order to handle
the requests from Apache?

2) Does the adaptor, mod_jserv, open up a TCP connection to Tomcat in
order to pass requests?  I guess so.  This sounds inefficient.

3) There is another line in the tomcat-apache.conf file that states
"ApJServManual on", which, according to the manual says this:
"Instruct jserv not to start the Tomcat process. Automatically
starting Tomcat is not implemented yet."   If that is true, how do I
configure Tomcat to start automatically along with Apache?
/etc/inittab for starting during system boot?

My overall goal is to have only *.htm files
(mydomain.com/fileXYZ.htm) handled by Tomcat.

Peter Alvin

Re: Hooking up Tomcat to Apache

Posted by David Mossakowski <dm...@Instinet.Com>.
See below

Peter Alvin wrote:
> Tomcat is running fine in standalone mode but I'm having difficulty
> hooking it up to Apache.
>
> I've configured Tomcat's server.xml file and I have an include file
> in Apache's httpd.conf file that points to a copy of the auto
> -generated tomcat-apache.conf file (where I've corrected the path to
> the mod_jserv.so module).
>
> When surf to www.mydomain.com/appName I get a "Cannot find server"
> page (interestingly, not a 404).
>
> If you don't mind, I have a few questions.
>
> 1) Fact1: When tomcat runs in standalone mode, its default port is
> 8080.  Fact2: my auto-generated tomcat-apache.conf file has the line
> "ApJServDefaultPort 8007".  Question: Does that mean I have to
> manually start Tomcat on 8007 (instead of 8080) in order to handle
> the requests from Apache?

No.  8007 is not the same as 8080 (obviously).  8080 is an HTTP
connector that you can get to through a browser.  8007 port is for the
AJP connector to send requests over.  They must be different.  You
should see the 8007 port in your workers.properties file for the AJP
connector.

> 2) Does the adaptor, mod_jserv, open up a TCP connection to Tomcat in
> order to pass requests?  I guess so.  This sounds inefficient.

That's the 8007 port.

> 3) There is another line in the tomcat-apache.conf file that states
> "ApJServManual on", which, according to the manual says this:
> "Instruct jserv not to start the Tomcat process. Automatically
> starting Tomcat is not implemented yet."   If that is true, how do I
> configure Tomcat to start automatically along with Apache?
> /etc/inittab for starting during system boot?
>
> My overall goal is to have only *.htm files
> (mydomain.com/fileXYZ.htm) handled by Tomcat.

I think this is a typo.  Tomcat should be handling the .jsp files and
the HTML files should be left to apache to handle.

> Peter Alvin

David Mossakowski

David Mossakowski              dmoss@instinet.com
Instinet Corporation                 212.310.7275

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com