Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Alexey Romanenko <ar...@gmail.com> on 2021/03/10 18:36:17 UTC

User-related questions in dev@ list

Hello all,

A quick question about our mailing lists policy.

Quite often I see that people tend to send the user-related questions to dev@. For example: [1], [2] and many similar ones.

I believe it’s a bad practice since it's mixing up with other dev-related threads and makes it difficult to search for similar questions in the future (since it’s expecting to be asked on user@).

What do you think should be the right behaviour for managing such emails? Forward this email to user@ (and remove dev@ address from copy) and ask politely to continue a discussion there? I tried it several times but sometimes it happened that discussion was "forked” and continued in two different lists which is even worse, imho.

Anything else? What do you believe should work better in such cases (maybe some experience for other projects)?

Regards,
Alexey

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r4976a36f01284abec84f411c540f4016aa1bc81aed05b8a14aa04b1f%40%3Cdev.beam.apache.org%3E
[2] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r75a0c49ebc5f25d979c176845437cc2bc69059cb02bb7db83b2716e6%40%3Cdev.beam.apache.org%3E

Re: User-related questions in dev@ list

Posted by Alexey Romanenko <ar...@gmail.com>.
Thanks everybody for your feedback!

I also agree, that dev@ is mostly like a forum for every topics potentially related to Beam improvement (in different ways, not only the code) and I’d ask more developers to take a look on user@ from time to time as well (even if it’s not very active but we still have Slack channels and StackOverflow, btw) and help with user-related questions.

For the user questions sent to dev@ I’d suggest to kindly ask to continue a discussion on user@ list.

Cheers,
Alexey

Posted by Valentyn Tymofieiev <va...@google.com>.

Posted by Robert Bradshaw <ro...@google.com>.

Posted by Pablo Estrada <pa...@google.com>.

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alexey Romanenko <ar...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Boyuan Zhang <bo...@google.com>.
I subscribed to both user@ and dev@. It seems to me that we have more
active folks who have knowledge to offer help on the dev@ than the user@.
It's always good to have dev@ and user@ for different usages as long as dev@
and user@ are almost equivalent helpful for dev/users to look for help.

Posted by Onur Ozer <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steve Niemitz <sn...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ahmet Altay <al...@google.com>.

Posted by Alexey Romanenko <ar...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ahmet Altay <al...@google.com>.
On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 10:36 AM Alexey Romanenko <ar...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> A quick question about our mailing lists policy.
>
> Quite often I see that people tend to send the user-related questions to
> dev@. For example: [1], [2] and many similar ones.
>
> I believe it’s a bad practice since it's mixing up with other dev-related
> threads and makes it difficult to search for similar questions in the
> future (since it’s expecting to be asked on user@).

I agree with you.