Posted to dev@crunch.apache.org by Josh Wills <jw...@cloudera.com> on 2013/05/09 05:02:45 UTC

board report

Here's the report I sent to the board:

Apache Crunch is a Java library for writing, testing, and running
MapReduce pipelines on Apache Hadoop.

Issues:
There are no issues requiring board attention at this time.

Releases:
We are currently holding a vote for our 0.6.0 release, our first
release since leaving the incubator at the end of February. We have
received three +1 votes for the current release candidate from PMC members
and expect the vote to pass when voting closes in a couple of days.

Community & Development:
No new PMC members or committers have been added since our report last
month, when we added two new committers.

We had a tough month on the dev list, primarily due to a strange and
somewhat random Java compiler error that caused Crunch builds to
fail consistently in some environments but not others, which was
frustrating to debug and caused lots of Jenkins failures. We believe
that we have resolved these issues with the latest release candidate
and are looking forward to our next release and getting back to working
on new features and bug fixes for our next release.

Any comments/feedback is welcome,
Josh

--
Director of Data Science
Cloudera <http://www.cloudera.com>

Re: board report

Posted by Josh Wills <jw...@cloudera.com>.
The fix

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 6:21 AM, Gabriel Reid <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Looks pretty good to me.
>
> I like that the compilation issue is mentioned, but are we *sure* that
> it's a javac
> bug (and not something else)? I didn't really follow it that closely on the
> list, but it seems like something we want to be sure about before
> mentioning
> it as a javac bug in the report.

I think it was more of a hidden limitation of javac that was platform
dependent: my uneducated guess is that the name of the classes were so long
that they were getting truncated on some platforms, but not others, causing
the imports that depended on them to fail. I don't want to hate on javac,
but it was annoying.

Re: board report

Posted by Gabriel Reid <ga...@gmail.com>.
Looks pretty good to me.