Posted to adffaces-user@incubator.apache.org by Chris Hansen <ch...@overstock.com> on 2006/11/29 20:37:30 UTC

Valid values and ValueChangeEvent

I noticed that a ValueChangeEvent is not queued when an editable value goes
from a valid value to an invalid value (null, or "" for a String). In
UIXEditableValue (line 60 of the version I have) there is a check for
validity before it determines if the value has changed and, if so, queues a
ValueChangeEvent. Is this a bug, or is this check for validity necessary,
and why?

This behavior is a difficulty for me because I am trying to display a
message to the user via PPR when they complete a section of a form using a
ValueChangeListener. The ValueChangeListener does not perform full
validation, only makes sure all of the fields in the section of the form are
filled out. This works fine when the user completes the section of the form.
The problem arises when they edit their previous input and put in a
non-valid value (select the unselectedLabel of a SelectOneChoice, erase the
text in an InputText, etc.). In that case, no ValueChangeEvent happens, and
the message to the user that the section is complete remains displayed
incorrectly. Is there another way to approach this problem besides using a
ValueChangeListener?

To me, this behavior is not consistent with what a ValueChangeEvent should
be. The value is being changed, but no event is being delivered.

Thank you,
Chris Hansen