Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Ranjith Anbazhakan <ra...@aspiresys.com> on 2017/04/18 08:21:11 UTC

Kafka Producer - Multiple broker - Data sent to buffer but not in Queue

Hi,

I have been testing behavior of multiple broker instances of kafka in same machine and facing inconsistent behavior of producer sent records to buffer not being available in queue always.

Tried kafka versions:
0.10.2.0
0.10.1.0

Scenario:

1.       Ran two broker instances in same machine. Say broker 1 as initial leader, broker 2 as initial follower.

2.       Stopped broker 1. Now broker 2 became leader.

3.       Now producer sends records for a given topic TEST through send() method, followed by flush(). Records have to go to Broker 2 logically. No error/exception is thrown by code. (So it is assumed data has been sent successfully to buffer)

4.       When using command to check the records count for TEST topic in Broker 2, the sent records are not added to existing records count for that topic in queue.

a.       Used command - kafka-run-class.bat kafka.tools.GetOffsetShell --broker-list localhost:9094 --topic TEST --time -1 (where TEST is the used topic)

NOTE: **Step 4 is not happening always and is inconsistent**. In the scenario when it does not work, if Broker 1 is made UP and then made DOWN, records are always been available in queue in Broker 2 post doing Step 3.

Configurations:
Overall Producer configurations: (most are default values)
acks = all
                batch.size = 16384
                block.on.buffer.full = false
                bootstrap.servers = <BROKER-1-IP:9091> , <BROKER-2-IP:9091>
                buffer.memory = 33554432
                client.id = producer-1
                compression.type = none
                connections.max.idle.ms = 540000
                interceptor.classes = null
                key.serializer = class org.apache.kafka.common.serialization.StringSerializer
                linger.ms = 1
                max.block.ms = 60000
                max.in.flight.requests.per.connection = 5
                max.request.size = 1048576
                metadata.fetch.timeout.ms = 60000
                metadata.max.age.ms = 300000
                metric.reporters = []
                metrics.num.samples = 2
                metrics.sample.window.ms = 30000
                partitioner.class = class org.apache.kafka.clients.producer.internals.DefaultPartitioner
                receive.buffer.bytes = 32768
                reconnect.backoff.ms = 50
                request.timeout.ms = 30000
                retries = 0
                retry.backoff.ms = 100
                sasl.kerberos.kinit.cmd = /usr/bin/kinit
                sasl.kerberos.min.time.before.relogin = 60000
                sasl.kerberos.service.name = null
                sasl.kerberos.ticket.renew.jitter = 0.05
                sasl.kerberos.ticket.renew.window.factor = 0.8
                sasl.mechanism = GSSAPI
                security.protocol = PLAINTEXT
                send.buffer.bytes = 131072
                ssl.cipher.suites = null
                ssl.enabled.protocols = [TLSv1.2, TLSv1.1, TLSv1]
                ssl.endpoint.identification.algorithm = null
                ssl.key.password = null
                ssl.keymanager.algorithm = SunX509
                ssl.keystore.location = null
                ssl.keystore.password = null
                ssl.keystore.type = JKS
                ssl.protocol = TLS
                ssl.provider = null
                ssl.secure.random.implementation = null
                ssl.trustmanager.algorithm = PKIX
                ssl.truststore.location = null
                ssl.truststore.password = null
                ssl.truststore.type = JKS
                timeout.ms = 30000
                value.serializer = class org.apache.kafka.common.serialization.StringSerializer

Broker 1: (server.properties)
broker.id=1
port=9091
advertised.host.name=<System-IP>
auto.create.topics.enable=true
default.replication.factor=2
leader.imbalance.check.interval.seconds=20
topic.metadata.refresh.interval.ms=-1

Broker 2: (server1.properties)
broker.id=2
port=9094
advertised.host.name=<System-IP>
auto.create.topics.enable=true
default.replication.factor=2
leader.imbalance.check.interval.seconds=20
topic.metadata.refresh.interval.ms=-1

Do let know if anyone have faced similar scenarios and why such an issue occurs? Let know if any more details are needed.

Thanks,
Ranjith
[Aspire Systems]

This e-mail message and any attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain proprietary, confidential, trade secret or privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited and may be a violation of law. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

RE: Kafka Producer - Multiple broker - Data sent to buffer but not in Queue

Posted by Ranjith Anbazhakan <ra...@aspiresys.com>.
Sorry about that. That was a typo.

The exact configuration is as below:
bootstrap.servers = <BROKER-1-IP:9091> , <BROKER-2-IP:9094>

Thanks,
Ranjith

Posted by Kamal C <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ranjith Anbazhakan <ra...@aspiresys.com>.